Greetings to all music lovers out there! Are you craving an uplifting night out filled with live music and great vibes? Well, you’re in luck because this article is going to give you the lowdown on music venues in Savannah, GA. From intimate settings to rock-and-roll stages, we’ve got you covered.
Get ready to discover Savannah’s most popular music venues and what each one has to offer. This guide will help you find the perfect spot to listen to local artists or dance the night away with friends. After reading this article, you’ll have a clear idea of where to go when you’re in the mood for some soul-stirring beats or a laid-back atmosphere.
If you’re hesitant about venturing out into the music scene, don’t worry. We’ll also cover essential information such as the dress code, age limit, and admission fees. Plus, we’ll give you tips on how to make the most of your experience and ensure that you have an unforgettable night. So sit back and let us guide you through Savannah’s music scene.
The Best Music Venue in Savannah, GA: A Detailed Guide
When it comes to enjoying live music, Savannah has a plethora of options to choose from, be it blues, jazz, rock, or pop. With so many music venues available in the city, it can be overwhelming to decide which one to visit. However, fret not! In this article, we have got you covered with a comprehensive guide to the best music venues in Savannah, GA. So, let’s delve into it and discover the top 5 music venues in Savannah.
1. The Lucas Theatre for the Arts
The Lucas Theatre for the Arts is a world-class music venue that is not just a treat for your ears but also your eyes. Opened in 1921 as a movie palace, the Lucas Theatre underwent a renovation in 2000 to become a first-rate concert hall that is renowned for its acoustics and architectural beauty. This venue is designed to accommodate a wide range of music performances, from symphonies to chamber music concerts, rock shows to jazz performances. It features a seating capacity of 1,200 that is almost always packed with music lovers.
- Location: 32 Abercorn St, Savannah GA 31401
- The Lucas Theatre boasts excellent acoustics, jaw-dropping architecture, and top-notch amenities and services.
- This music venue hosts a variety of shows, including music, theatre, dance, and film screenings, catering to all tastes.
- Ticket prices can be quite high, and events tend to sell out quickly, especially during peak seasons.
- The theatre is located in the heart of Savannah’s historic district, making parking and traffic congestions a potential hassle.
The Lucas Theatre for the Arts is an excellent option for those who want to experience top-quality music performances in an architectural masterpiece. It is also a perfect place to explore the city’s history and culture while immersing yourself in music.
The Lucas Theatre: A Brief History
The Lucas Theatre was built in 1921 as a Vaudeville house – a variety entertainment consisting of short acts, including comedy, music, and dance. Thousands of people flocked the Lucas Theatre to enjoy live performances and watch silent films during the Golden Age of Hollywood. However, the theatre slowly fell into disrepair and faced closure in the 1970s. A group of art enthusiasts led a restoration project that took over two decades to complete.
The renovation project involved bringing back the theatre’s glamorous architecture, which features a mixture of styles like the Italian Renaissance and French Empire. The stage rigging, seating, dressing rooms, and lighting were also updated to modern standards. Following a $14 million renovation that ended in 2000, the Lucas Theatre for the Arts was reopened as a multi-function space that hosts a diverse array of performances and events. Over the years, it has been recognized as one of the most beautiful and acoustically-sound venues in America.
The Lucas Theatre: What to Expect
Attending a performance at the Lucas Theatre is an experience that extends beyond just the music. You’ll be mesmerized by its lavish surroundings and advanced technical capabilities. With a variety of music genres being hosted here, you can enjoy concerts, symphonies, classical quartets, and bluegrass performances. Some of the well-known shows held in the past include the Savannah Philharmonic, the Savannah Ballet Theater, and the Savannah Children’s Choir, among others.
The theatre also offers a range of amenities, such as refreshments, souvenirs, and merchandise, to enhance your overall experience. There is a large courtyard outside the theatre where you can mingle with other attendees during intermission or after the show. Note that the theatre enforces a dress code, so it’s advisable to dress accordingly. Expect to be blown away by top-notch acoustics, state-of-the-art amplification, and bright LED lights. The seating arrangements allow you to observe the live performances in great detail, no matter where you sit.
Lucas Theatre vs. Other Music Venues in Savannah, GA
|The Lucas Theatre for the Arts||The Jinx||The Wormhole||El-Rocko Lounge||The Sentient Bean|
|Location||Historic Downtown||Historic Downtown||Midtown||Historic Downtown||Starland District|
|Concert Genres||Classical, Jazz, Symphony, Rock and more||Punk, Metal, Indie Rock||Rock||Rock, 80s, 90s||Folk, Blues, Indie|
|Pros||World-class acoustics, jaw-dropping architecture, top-notch amenities and services||Intimate setting, cheap tickets, popular with young crowd||Live music, great drink specials, friendly atmosphere||Eclectic music, intimate atmosphere, laid-back vibe||Organic coffee, homemade food, great ambiance|
|Cons||Ticket prices can be quite high. Potential parking hassles and traffic congestions||Not recommended for families or older adults due to loud music and rowdy crowds||Located far from tourist attractions, could be noisy due to neighboring car repair shops||Small capacity, Occasional events may be canceled due to limited audience turnout||Small and intimate, limited seating, closed on Mondays.|
As the table above shows, The Lucas Theatre for the Arts offers a unique experience that sets it apart from other music venues in the city. The theatre is the largest music venue in Savannah and can accommodate more than 1,000 guests. It is located in the heart of the Historic District, making it easy to find, but it can get busy and noisy during peak seasons. The venue’s world-class acoustics and jaw-dropping architecture provide an ideal backdrop for enjoying live music. Although ticket prices can be a bit steep, the overall experience is worth every penny.
If you are looking for a smaller, more intimate setting with a laid-back vibe, you may want to check out El-Rocko Lounge or The Sentient Bean. These venues cater to a different music genre and are perfect for those who prefer a more casual and laid-back atmosphere.
Regardless of the music venue you choose, keep in mind the type of music you enjoy, your budget, and your preferred ambiance when choosing where to attend a concert. With a variety of options available, Savannah is bound to have the perfect fit for any music lover.
The History and Charm of Savannah’s Iconic Music Venues
Savannah, Georgia is a city that oozes southern charm and hospitality. Known for its stunning architecture, rich history, and creative muse, this city is also home to a thriving music scene. Savannah has some of the most iconic music venues in the country that have been around for decades, providing a platform for artists to showcase their craft. From jazz to country, rock to hip-hop, savannah’s music venues have it all. In this article, we will explore the history and charm of Savannah’s iconic music venues.
The Historic Savannah Theatre
The Savannah Theatre has been an iconic landmark for over 200 years. Built-in 1818, it is known as the oldest continually operating theatre in the United States. The theatre has seen its share of ups and downs throughout history. It was burned down during the Civil War and was later used as a movie theatre in the 1940s. The theatre has also been a music venue, hosting performances from legends like Tony Bennett and Hank Williams Jr. In the 2000s, the theatre underwent major renovations and reopened as a performing arts center. Today, it continues to host musicals, plays, and concerts for locals and tourists alike.
The Jinx is a small rock and roll club that has become a favorite among locals and tourists alike. It opened its doors in 2003 and quickly became a popular destination for music lovers. The Jinx has hosted some of the biggest names in rock music, including The Black Lips and The Whigs. The club’s charm lies in its intimate setting, with a small stage and a low ceiling that makes the experience more personal. The Jinx offers a diverse range of music genres, from indie to metal, satisfying all musical palates.
Tybee Post Theater
The Tybee Post Theater opened its doors in 1930 as part of the Fort Screven army post. It was later used as a movie theatre and a community center. The theatre underwent a major renovation in 2015 and was reopened as a performing arts center. The Tybee Post Theater has since then hosted a range of events, including live music performances. The theatre boasts excellent acoustics, making it a popular choice among musicians. It has also become popular among locals and visitors for its film series, which includes classic movies and indie films.
The Wormhole is a small music venue that opened its doors in 2008. Despite its small size, this venue has made a name for itself in the music scene, hosting some of the most interesting acts in the country. The Wormhole offers a mix of genres, from jazz to blues to rock. It has also become a popular spot for comedy nights and trivia shows. The Wormhole offers a laid-back atmosphere where one can enjoy good music, drinks, and company.
Mose’s Live is a blues club that has been around since 2001. It offers a funky atmosphere, with dim lighting and a casual vibe. The club is best known for its blues performances and locally sourced craft beer. Mose’s Live has hosted some of the biggest names in the blues scene, including Eddie Kirkland and Taj Mahal. The club is known for its strict policy of no cell phones or photography, which allows visitors to enjoy the music without any distractions.
|The Historic Savannah Theatre||525||Broadway, musicals, plays, concerts||The theatre was used as a Union hospital during the Civil War|
|The Jinx||150||Rock, metal, indie||The club was featured in the book “1000 Places to See Before You Die”|
|Tybee Post Theater||200||Jazz, classical, indie, blues, rock||The theatre was saved from demolition by a local non-profit organization|
|The Wormhole||75||Jazz, blues, rock, comedy||The club has a self-playing piano|
|Mose’s Live||100||Blues||The club has a resident house band called The Hitman Blues Band|
- The Savannah Theatre is the oldest continually operating theatre in the United States
- The Jinx has a jukebox that plays records
- The Tybee Post Theater has become popular for its film series
- The Wormhole offers various events, including trivia nights and comedy shows
- Mose’s Live has a strict no-cell-phone policy
In conclusion, Savannah’s iconic music venues have a rich history and continue to offer charm and character, making them beloved destinations for music lovers. Regardless of your musical preference, there is something for everyone in this vibrant city. Whether you’re a local or visiting for the first time, check out some of these iconic music venues to experience the magic of Savannah’s music scene.
From Blues to Bluegrass: The Diverse Music Scene in Savannah, GA
Savannah, Georgia boasts a vibrant music scene, with a variety of genres that reflect the diverse cultural heritage of the city. From blues to bluegrass, different kinds of music venues cater to the varied tastes of both locals and tourists. In this section, we will explore the different types of music venues that people can visit to experience the range of musical traditions found in Savannah.
The Different Types of Music Venues in Savannah
Savannah offers many music venues that cater to different audiences, ranging from intimate bars to larger concert halls. Some of the main types of music venues include:
Bars in Savannah offer a unique experience – they provide locals and tourists a chance to have a drink while enjoying live music performances. The atmosphere in bars can range from lively and rowdy to laid-back and intimate, depending on the type of patrons they attract. Here are some of the popular bars in Savannah:
- The Jinx – This rock and roll bar offers live performances by local and visiting artists. Its intimate setting and low-key atmosphere make it a favorite among the local crowd.
- Abe’s on Lincoln – This bar features live music performances by local bands and solo artists. They offer an outdoor patio and an indoor space, both of which are ideal for people who just want to relax and enjoy the music.
- The Original Pinkie Masters – This bar has a rich history, having served as a hotspot for politicians and famous musicians in the past. Today, it still attracts a diverse crowd and features live music performances by local and visiting artists.
Concert halls in Savannah provide a more formal setting for live music performances. These venues can accommodate larger crowds, making them ideal for concerts and performances by well-known musicians. Here are some of the popular concert halls in Savannah:
- The Lucas Theatre for the Arts – This historic theatre opened in 1921 and has since then served as a venue for live music performances, plays, and musicals. Its neoclassical architecture and excellent acoustics have made it a premier venue for both national and international performers.
- The Johnny Mercer Theatre – This theatre, named after Savannah’s famous songwriter and performer Johnny Mercer, can accommodate up to 2,500 people. It has hosted performances by well-known musicians such as James Taylor, Elton John, and Robin Williams.
- The Savannah Civic Center – This multi-purpose facility includes a theater and an arena that can accommodate up to 9,600 people. It hosts a wide range of events, including concerts, sporting events, and conventions.
Savannah is known for its vibrant music festivals, which provide a unique opportunity to experience the different musical traditions found in the city. These festivals attract both locals and tourists, creating a festive atmosphere. Here are some of the popular music festivals in Savannah:
- Savannah Music Festival – This annual festival features more than 100 performances by world-class musicians in a variety of genres, including jazz, classical, and blues. It attracts over 25,000 people every year and has been recognized as one of the best music festivals in the world.
- The Savannah Jazz Festival – This free annual festival features performances by local and international jazz musicians. It is held in Forsyth Park and attracts a diverse crowd of jazz enthusiasts and music lovers.
- The Savannah Stopover Music Festival – This annual festival showcases up-and-coming indie bands from around the world. It provides a platform for emerging musicians to connect with music industry professionals and fans.
|Type||Intimate settings||Formal settings||Festive atmosphere|
|Capacity||Small to medium-sized crowds||Large crowds||Thousands of people|
|Music Genres||Rock, blues, jazz, country, and more||Jazz, classical, pop, and more||Indie, jazz, blues, and more|
|Atmosphere||Lively or laid-back, depending on the patrons||Formal and professional||Festive and diverse|
In conclusion, Savannah’s diverse music scene offers a range of options for people who want to experience live music performances. Whether you prefer intimate settings or formal concert halls, or would rather enjoy a festival with a festive crowd, there is a music venue in Savannah that caters to your preferences.
Where to catch live performances by local musicians in Savannah, GA
Savannah is home to a thriving music scene, with a variety of venues that offer live performances by talented musicians. Whether you’re a music enthusiast or simply looking for a fun night out, there’s no shortage of options to choose from. In this article, we’ll explore the top four venues to catch live performances by local musicians in Savannah, GA.
1. The Jinx
The Jinx is a well-known music venue in Savannah that has been around since 2003. It’s a popular spot for both local and touring bands, and has hosted a range of music genres over the years, from punk rock to country. Here’s what you can expect from a night out at The Jinx:
- Intimate atmosphere: The Jinx is a small venue that can accommodate around 200 people. This creates an intimate atmosphere where you can get up close and personal with the performers.
- Diverse lineup: The Jinx hosts a diverse lineup of bands and musicians, so there’s something for everyone to enjoy. You can usually find live music every night of the week.
- Good drinks: The Jinx has a full bar with a range of drinks to choose from, including local craft beers.
If you’re looking for a fun night out with a lively atmosphere and a range of music genres, The Jinx is the place to be.
2. The Wormhole
The Wormhole is another popular music venue in Savannah that has been around since 2008. It’s known for hosting local musicians and up-and-coming bands, and has a laid-back vibe that’s perfect for a relaxing night out. Here are some of the things you can expect from a night out at The Wormhole:
- Casual atmosphere: The Wormhole has a casual and relaxed atmosphere, with quirky decor and a friendly crowd.
- Frequent events: The Wormhole hosts a variety of events throughout the week, including open mic nights, comedy shows, and trivia nights.
- Good drinks: The bar at The Wormhole offers a range of drinks, including craft beers and creative cocktails.
If you’re looking for a fun and casual night out with great music and good drinks, The Wormhole is the place to go.
3. El-Rocko Lounge
El-Rocko Lounge is a popular music venue in Savannah that’s known for its retro vibe and live music. It’s located in the heart of the city and has a lively atmosphere that’s perfect for a night out with friends. Here’s what you can expect from a night out at El-Rocko Lounge:
- Retro decor: El-Rocko Lounge has a retro vibe, with vintage decor and a cozy atmosphere.
- Live music: The lounge frequently hosts live music events, with a mix of local and touring bands.
- Creative cocktails: The bar at El-Rocko Lounge offers a range of creative cocktails, including some that are inspired by classic rock songs.
If you’re looking for a unique and fun night out with great music and creative cocktails, El-Rocko Lounge is the place to go.
4. The Barrelhouse South
The Barrelhouse South is a music venue in Savannah that’s known for its extensive whiskey selection and live music. It has a larger capacity than some of the other venues on this list, making it ideal for larger groups or events. Here’s what you can expect from a night out at The Barrelhouse South:
- Extensive whiskey selection: The Barrelhouse South has an extensive whiskey selection, with over 250 types of bourbon, rye, and scotch.
- Live music: The venue hosts live music events on a regular basis, with a focus on local and regional musicians.
- Casual atmosphere: The Barrelhouse South has a casual and laid-back atmosphere, with a mix of indoor and outdoor seating options.
If you’re a whiskey enthusiast looking for a night out with great music and a relaxed atmosphere, The Barrelhouse South is the place to be.
|The Jinx||Intimate||Diverse||Full bar|
|The Wormhole||Casual||Up-and-coming||Craft beer, cocktails|
|El-Rocko Lounge||Retro||Local and touring||Creative cocktails|
|The Barrelhouse South||Casual||Local and regional||Extensive whiskey selection|
In conclusion, if you’re looking to catch live performances by local musicians in Savannah, GA, there are plenty of options to choose from. Each venue offers a unique atmosphere and music genre, so it’s worth checking out a few to see which one suits your tastes. Whether you’re looking for a lively atmosphere with a range of drinks or a relaxed vibe with creative cocktails, Savannah’s music scene has it all.
The Best Music Venues in Savannah, GA
Savannah, Georgia is home to some of the best nightlife spots in the Southeast, especially when it comes to music venues. The city’s diverse and vibrant music scene offers something for everyone, ranging from intimate jazz clubs to large concert halls. Here, we will explore the five best music venues in Savannah, GA that you should definitely check out.
1. The Lucas Theatre for the Arts
The Lucas Theatre for the Arts is a historic, 1,200-seat theater that was first opened in 1921. Located on Abercorn Street, the theater has been beautifully restored and now hosts a wide range of performance events, including concerts, plays, and movies. Some notable acts that have performed here in the past include Tony Bennett, Lyle Lovett, and Yo-Yo Ma.
- The theater has a rich and fascinating history that adds to its charm and appeal.
- The acoustics are incredible, providing a truly immersive and memorable listening experience.
- The seating is comfortable and spacious, ensuring that everyone has a good view of the stage.
- The theater can get very crowded and noisy during some of the bigger shows.
- Tickets for popular performances can sell out quickly, so it’s important to book in advance.
2. The Jinx
The Jinx is a cozy dive bar and music venue that has been a beloved fixture of Savannah’s downtown area since 2003. With a capacity of only 150 people, it offers an intimate and laid-back atmosphere that is perfect for catching some of the best live music acts that the city has to offer. The Jinx is known for featuring a range of different genres, including rock, punk, and metal.
- The bar offers a great selection of beer and cocktails at affordable prices.
- The intimate setting means that you can get up close and personal with the performers.
- The Jinx has a loyal following of regulars who are always ready to welcome new visitors.
- The venue can get very crowded, especially on weekends.
- The sound system can sometimes be a bit shaky, which can affect the quality of the performances.
3. The Ships of the Sea Maritime Museum
The Ships of the Sea Maritime Museum is not your typical music venue – it’s a museum that specializes in the history of seafaring in Savannah. However, the museum’s beautiful garden courtyard serves as a stunning venue for live music performances during the summer months. The courtyard can accommodate up to 300 people and has hosted popular acts such as the B-52s and Old Crow Medicine Show.
- The outdoor setting is simply stunning, offering a unique and memorable experience for concert-goers.
- The museum is a great place to learn about Savannah’s rich maritime history before or after the show.
- The courtyard is spacious, providing plenty of room for dancing and socializing.
- The venue is only open during the summer months, which limits the number of shows that can be hosted here.
- The acoustics can sometimes be a bit uneven in the outdoor setting.
4. The Wormhole
The Wormhole is a quirky and eclectic music venue located in Savannah’s Starland District. The venue features a variety of different acts, ranging from local bands to touring groups. Some of the genres that are typically featured here include indie, hip-hop, and electronic music. In addition to live music, The Wormhole also hosts a range of other events, such as comedy shows and trivia nights.
- The venue has a fun and funky atmosphere that is perfect for a night out with friends.
- The range of different genres and acts means that there is always something new to discover here.
- The staff are friendly and helpful, making sure that everyone has a great time.
- The venue is quite small and can get crowded, which can be uncomfortable for some people.
- The sound system can sometimes be a bit unreliable, affecting the quality of the performances.
5. The Tybee Post Theater
The Tybee Post Theater is a beautifully restored Art Deco theater located on Tybee Island, just a short drive from Savannah. As well as hosting a range of different events and performances throughout the year, the theater also hosts a regular concert series featuring some of the best musicians in the Southeast. The theater has a capacity of 200 people and is known for its great acoustics and comfortable seating.
- The theater’s Art Deco decor and architecture are simply stunning, making for a truly unique and memorable experience.
- The theater is located in a beautiful area, just a stone’s throw from the beach.
- The regular concert series means that there is always something new and exciting happening at the theater.
- Tickets for popular shows can sell out quickly, so it’s important to book in advance.
- The theater is located outside of Savannah, which can make getting there a bit of a hassle.
In conclusion, Savannah, Georgia is a treasure trove of great music venues, each offering its own unique charm and appeal. Whether you’re in the mood for an intimate jazz club, a rowdy dive bar, or a grand concert hall, Savannah has something for everyone. So why not explore the city’s vibrant music scene and see what all the fuss is about?
FAQs: Music Venues in Savannah GA
What are some popular music venues in Savannah GA?
Some popular music venues in Savannah GA include The Jinx, The Wormhole, El-Rocko Lounge, The Sentient Bean, and The Social Club.
What genres of music can be found in Savannah GA music venues?
Savannah GA music venues offer a wide range of genres such as rock, country, blues, jazz, punk, metal, and more.
Do music venues in Savannah GA have a dress code?
Dress codes vary from venue to venue. Some may have a dress code policy, while others allow casual attire. It is recommended to check the dress code policy before attending.
Are there any music festivals held in Savannah GA?
Savannah GA hosts several annual music festivals such as Savannah Music Festival, Savannah Stopover Music Festival, and Savannah Jazz Festival.
Do music venues in Savannah GA serve food and drinks?
Most music venues in Savannah GA have a bar that serves both alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages. Some may also have a restaurant that serves food.
Can children attend musical performances in Savannah GA venues?
It depends on the venue and the age of the child. Some venues may allow children to attend, while others may have age restrictions. It is recommended to check the venue’s policy beforehand.
Do music venues in Savannah GA have parking available?
Most music venues in Savannah GA have street parking nearby or parking lots. It is recommended to check the venue’s website or call ahead to confirm parking options.
Are there any outdoor music venues in Savannah GA?
Yes, Savannah GA has several outdoor music venues such as Forsyth Park, Grayson Stadium, and Tybee Island Beach.
What is the best time to attend a musical performance in Savannah GA?
The best time to attend a musical performance in Savannah GA may vary depending on the venue and the artist performing. Most venues offer performances in the evening or at night.
What is the capacity of music venues in Savannah GA?
The capacity of music venues in Savannah GA varies from small intimate spaces that can hold 50-100 people to larger venues that can hold over 1,000 people.
Savannah GA offers a diverse range of music venues that cater to different music tastes and preferences. Whether you prefer an intimate space or a large venue, there’s a place for everyone to enjoy live music. In addition to music venues, Savannah also hosts several music festivals throughout the year. After reading this article, be sure to check out the various music venues in Savannah GA and experience the city’s vibrant music scene.
Thank you for reading, and we invite you to check out another interesting article on our website!