Welcome music lovers! If you are living in Tallahassee and looking for some fantastic live music venues, then you have landed on the right page. There’s nothing like live music to soothe your soul and forget all your worries. But, finding the best live music spot in a new city can be tricky, and it can be a tiring task. But fear not, we have got you covered! In this article, we will explore some of the best live music venues in Tallahassee, where you can enjoy quality music and create unforgettable memories.
After reading this article, you can expect to learn about a variety of live music venues that cater to different tastes and preferences. Whether you’re into country, rock, or blues, there’s a spot in Tallahassee that is perfect for you. You will discover some hidden gems and popular haunts where you can unwind and lose yourself in music. Our article will be your one-stop-shop for all things live music in Tallahassee, and you can be sure that you won’t be left disappointed.
By reading this article, you will learn about the specific features of each music venue, like the ambiance, genre, and even food and drink offerings. You will get a glimpse of the unique culture and vibe of Tallahassee, and we guarantee you will be itching to go out and experience it for yourself. Additionally, we will provide you with a comprehensive list of events and schedules, so you can plan your unforgettable music experience. So, get ready to rock and roll in the music wonderland of Tallahassee!
The Best Live Music Venues in Tallahassee
Finding a great live music venue can be a challenge, especially if you’re new to the city. In Tallahassee, however, there are plenty of fantastic options for music lovers of all genres. From intimate settings to larger, more energetic venues, there’s something for everyone.
1. The Moon
The Moon is without a doubt the most popular and well-known live music venue in Tallahassee. Located in a historic building in the heart of downtown, the Moon has been home to some of the biggest names in music over the years, including Johnny Cash, The Black Keys, and Mumford & Sons.
|Location||1105 E Lafayette St, Tallahassee, FL 32301|
|Capacity||Up to 1,000 people|
|Genres||Rock, Country, Blues, Hip Hop, EDM, and more|
Capacity and Genres:
The Moon has a maximum capacity of 1,000 people, making it a larger venue compared to some of the others in Tallahassee. It’s known for hosting a wide variety of genres, from rock and country to blues, hip hop, and EDM.
The Moon offers a spacious and modern venue with top-of-the-line sound and lighting systems. They host both big-name acts and up-and-coming artists, so there’s always something new to see. Additionally, they offer a variety of ticket options, including general admission and VIP packages, to appeal to different budgets.
The Moon also has a full bar and food menu available, so you can enjoy a drink or a bite to eat between sets. And with ample parking available in nearby lots and garages, it’s easy to get to and from the venue.
One potential downside of The Moon is that tickets can be expensive, especially for popular shows. Additionally, some shows may have age restrictions (18+ or 21+), so it may not be the best option for younger fans.
Another potential drawback is that The Moon can get crowded and noisy, especially near the stage. So if you’re looking for a more intimate experience, you may want to consider some of the other options on this list.
Other Live Music Venues in Tallahassee:
If The Moon doesn’t quite fit your style or budget, there are plenty of other live music venues in Tallahassee to check out. Some other options include:
2. Fifth & Thomas
Fifth & Thomas is a newer venue in Tallahassee, but it’s quickly become a favorite among locals. With a focus on southern food and hospitality, this venue offers an intimate, laid-back setting to enjoy live music.
Located on the outskirts of downtown, Fifth & Thomas has a maximum capacity of 285 people, making it a much smaller venue compared to The Moon. However, it’s known for hosting local and regional acts in a variety of genres, including Americana, folk, and bluegrass.
Some of the pros and cons of Fifth & Thomas include:
Fifth & Thomas offers a cozy, comfortable atmosphere with friendly staff and great southern food. They also have a outdoor patio area where you can relax and enjoy the music.
One potential downside of Fifth & Thomas is that it’s a small venue, so you may not find as many big-name acts here. Additionally, they don’t have a full bar, so your drink options may be limited.
3. The Wilbury
The Wilbury is a small, funky venue in the All Saints district of Tallahassee. With a maximum capacity of 200 people, it’s one of the smallest venues on this list. However, what it lacks in size it makes up for in personality and charm.
The Wilbury focuses on independent and alternative music, hosting everything from punk and metal to indie rock and experimental. They also offer a variety of events throughout the week, including trivia nights, open mic nights, and karaoke.
Some of the pros and cons of The Wilbury include:
The Wilbury offers a unique and intimate setting to enjoy music, with a cool, retro vibe that sets it apart from other venues in Tallahassee. They also have a full bar and a small outdoor patio area for when the weather is nice.
One potential downside of The Wilbury is that it’s a small venue, so you may not find as many big-name acts here. Additionally, the bar can get crowded and noisy during shows, making it difficult to have a conversation.
If you’re looking for a more laid-back, intimate venue to enjoy live music, The Wilbury is definitely worth checking out.
4. The Junction at Monroe
The Junction at Monroe is a versatile music venue that can accommodate everything from large concerts to private parties and events. Located just outside of downtown, this venue offers a spacious, rustic setting that’s perfect for enjoying live music.
Some of the pros and cons of The Junction at Monroe include:
The Junction at Monroe is a spacious venue that can accommodate a wide variety of events, from small acoustic shows to large concerts with hundreds of attendees. They also have plenty of parking available, making it easy to get to and from the venue.
One potential downside of The Junction at Monroe is that it’s not as well-known as some of the other venues on this list, so you may not find as many big-name acts here. Additionally, the bar area can get crowded during shows, making it difficult to order drinks.
However, if you’re looking for a versatile, spacious venue with a cool, rustic vibe, The Junction at Monroe is definitely worth checking out.
Whether you’re into rock, country, blues, hip hop, or something else entirely, Tallahassee has plenty of options when it comes to live music venues. From the historic and well-known Moon to the newer, more intimate venues like Fifth & Thomas and The Wilbury, there’s something for every taste and budget. So next time you’re in town, be sure to check out one of these great live music venues and enjoy a night of fantastic music and Southern hospitality.
Tallahassee’s Live Music Scene: A History
Tallahassee is a city that has always been known for its vibrant culture, diverse music scene, and bustling nightlife. Throughout the years, Tallahassee has seen a surge of musicians come through and perform at its many venues. In this article, we will explore the history of live music in Tallahassee, with a focus on the evolution of the music scene.
The Emergence of Live Music in Tallahassee
Live music in Tallahassee has always been a staple of the city’s nightlife. The earliest sightings of live music can be traced back to the 1940s and 1950s. During that time, blues and country music were the most prominent genres. Artists such as B.B King and Muddy Waters would often come and perform in Tallahassee, and also influenced many local music artists.
Integrating with Civil Rights Movement
During the civil rights movement in the 1960s, the scene shifted towards folk and protest music. Many of the artists and bands of this era were deeply involved in social activism and played a pivotal role in integration. The popular club, The Moon, was a hub for many of these musicians where they had the opportunity to perform their socially conscious music.
The Explosive Growth of Live Music Venues in the 1970s and 1980s
The live music scene in Tallahassee took a massive leap in the 1970s and 1980s, with an emergence of several new venues. These venues included Floyd’s Record Shop and the legendary club, The Cow Haus. The Cow Haus became well-known for hosting underground punk rock bands, and it played an instrumental role in shaping the punk rock scene in the area.
- Case Study: The Cow Haus
The Cow Haus, first opened in 1987, became somewhat of a cultural hub for punk rock enthusiasts in Tallahassee. It was primarily known for its support of underground punk rock music, which was unconventional at the time. It was a place that welcomed anyone looking for a good time, with an emphasis on live music performances. Artist famous for wowing The Cow Haus crowd includes NOFX, The Cramps, and many more.
The Live Music Scene in the 1990s and Beyond
Live music in Tallahassee reached its peak popularity in the 1990s, with the city’s local sound embracing the southern rock genre. It was a critical time in the music scene of Tallahassee, with several outstanding musicians such as Creed, Mayday Parade, and Hot Water Music gaining popularity. Tallahassee’s music scene has continued to evolve with new genres emerging, and a new generation of musicians making their mark.
- Interesting Fact:
- In the late 90s, Tallahassee also gained popularity for being a breeding ground for death metal and black metal bands, two heavy metal sub-genres that were gaining immense popularity at the time. Bands like Death and Morbid Angel made Tallahassee their home while rising to fame.
- Tallahassee has a rich and diverse live music history, dating back to the 1940s, when blues and country music were the most prominent genres in the area
- During the civil rights movement in the 1960s, the scene shifted towards folk and protest music
- Tallahassee took a massive leap in the 1970s and 1980s, with the emergence of several new venues such as Floyd’s Record Shop and The Cow Haus. The Cow Haus played an instrumental role in shaping the punk rock scene in the area
- The 1990s marked the peak popularity of the live music scene in Tallahassee. The city’s local sound embraced the southern rock genre. Notable musicians include Creed, Mayday Parade, and Hot Water Music
- Tallahassee’s music scene continues to evolve, with new genres emerging, new venues opening up, and a new generation of musicians making their mark
|Offers music artists and enthusiasts an opportunity to interact, share ideas, and promote their art through the latest technology||Some venues are still relatively small, which means the city may struggle to attract world-renowned acts and producers|
|A vibrant music scene boosts the local economy with increased tourism, hospitality, and event services revenue||Sound pollution, which may result from excessively loud music, may negatively affect the mental and physical health of Tallahassee residents and visitors|
|Many free music events enable the community to come together and develop a sense of togetherness||The costs of organizing a concert or event can be prohibitive for smaller artists, leading to an uneven platform for music promotion, and one of the cumulative effects may limit the cultural diversity of performances|
In summary, live music in Tallahassee has come a long way. From the emergence of blues and country music to the current scene that welcomes new genres, Tallahassee’s music scene has made significant strides. The city continues to embrace new music styles, and holds a diverse range of concerts and events year-round, thus adding value to the cultural and social fabric of the city.
3. The Top Local Bands To See Live in Tallahassee
As the capital city of Florida, Tallahassee boasts a vibrant music scene with numerous talented local bands. Whether you are a visitor or a resident, experiencing the live performances of these local bands is a must-do activity. In this section, we will introduce the top local bands to see live in Tallahassee.
1. The Brown Goose
The Brown Goose is a four-piece rock band that has been electrifying the Tallahassee music scene for years. Their music is a blend of classic rock and punk with a touch of blues. Their high-energy performances are filled with guitar riffs, catchy choruses, and powerful drumming.
|– High-energy performances||– Limited genre diversity|
|– Catchy choruses||– Not suitable for all age groups|
|– Talented instrumentalists||– limited availability of their performances due to their busy schedules|
- Since their formation in 2011, The Brown Goose has gained a large following in Tallahassee and beyond.
- Their music is often described as a mix of Green Day, The Black Keys, and The White Stripes.
- Their song “Broken Bottles” has been featured on local radio stations and was voted the #1 song in Tallahassee by readers of the alternative newspaper, The Tally Ho, in 2016.
If you love rock and punk music, or just appreciate great musicianship, The Brown Goose is a local band to see live in Tallahassee.
2. The Common Taters and the Turn-Ups
The Common Taters and the Turn-Ups is a nine-piece band that specializes in soul and funk music. Their live performances are packed with high-energy funk beats, soulful vocals, and an impressive horn section. They have been regular performers at local venues and events, including the Tallahassee Downtown Getdown and the Chain of Parks Art Festival.
|– Nine-piece band with a diverse sound||– Limited availability of their performances due to their busy schedules|
|– High-energy performances||– Not suitable for all age groups|
|– Impressive horn section||– Limited genre diversity|
- The Common Taters and Turn-Ups have been performing together since the late 1990s and have become a staple in the Tallahassee music scene.
- The band’s name originates from a popular dish in Southern cuisine, which includes sweet potatoes and the vegetable turnip.
- Their song “Soulville” was featured on the television show “Hawaii Five-O” in 2017.
If you’re a fan of James Brown, Stevie Wonder, or any other soul/funk legends, The Common Taters and the Turn-Ups are a band you must see live in Tallahassee.
3. The Fried Turkeys
The Fried Turkeys is a five-piece band that plays a unique blend of country, bluegrass, and rock music. Their live performances are filled with upbeat melodies, great harmonies, and impressive instrumentals. Their music is the perfect soundtrack for a fun evening out with friends.
|– Unique blend of genres||– Limited availability of their performances due to their busy schedules|
|– Impressive instrumentals||– Not suitable for all age groups|
|– Great harmonies||– Limited genre diversity|
- The Fried Turkeys’ blend of genres has been described as “country fried rock.”
- Their song “Palmetto Pines” was featured on the soundtrack of the independent film “The Healer” in 2017.
- The band has opened for famous country artists such as Travis Tritt and Billy Currington in the past.
If you’re a fan of country or bluegrass music, or just love great instrumentals, The Fried Turkeys are a must-see live band in Tallahassee.
In conclusion, experiencing live music in Tallahassee is a great way to embrace the city’s culture and enjoy an evening out with friends or family. The Brown Goose, The Common Taters and the Turn-Ups, and The Fried Turkeys are just a few of the top local bands to see live in Tallahassee. Each band has a unique sound and style, making for an unforgettable and enjoyable live performance.
Discovering New Genres at Tallahassee’s Live Music Events
Tallahassee has a rich and diverse music scene that showcases a wide range of genres. From jazz to rock, electronic to classical, there is something for every music enthusiast. Whether you are an avid fan of a particular genre or looking for something new to explore, Tallahassee’s live music events offer an exciting platform to discover new sounds.
1. Exploring New Sounds at Tallahassee’s Live Music Events
Tallahassee’s live music events provide an excellent opportunity to explore new sounds and genres. Here are some ways you can discover new music at these events:
- Attend different events: The best way to explore new sounds is to attend different events. Check out music festivals, concerts, and other live music events to sample various genres.
- Follow local bands and musicians: Keep tabs on local bands and musicians to learn about their upcoming performances. Many bands perform in multiple genres, and following them can help you discover new sounds.
- Listen to opening acts: At most shows, there is an opening act that performs before the headliner. Pay attention to them, as they can introduce you to new sounds and genres.
- Be open-minded: Approach each event with an open mind. Don’t dismiss a genre just because you are unfamiliar with it. Give it a chance and see if it resonates with you.
2. Popular Genres at Tallahassee’s Live Music Events
Tallahassee’s live music scene is diverse, but some genres are more popular than others. Here are some of the most popular genres you can expect to find at Tallahassee’s live music events:
- Jazz: Tallahassee has a vibrant jazz scene that includes both traditional and contemporary jazz acts. The city is home to numerous jazz festivals and events that take place throughout the year.
- Rock: Rock music is popular in Tallahassee, and you can find many local and national rock bands performing at various venues in the city.
- Electronic: Electronic music has gained popularity in recent years, and there are several electronic music events that take place in Tallahassee. From techno to house, there is a wide range of electronic music genres to explore.
- Classical: Tallahassee has a strong classical music scene, and you can find several orchestras and chamber music ensembles performing in the city.
3. Case Studies: Examples of Successful Genre Cross-Pollination in Tallahassee
Tallahassee’s live music scene is characterized by genre cross-pollination, where artists blend different genres to create unique sounds. Here are some examples of successful genre cross-pollination in Tallahassee:
|Artist Name||Genre Mix||Example Song|
|Sweet As Folk||Folk-Rock||“Heartbreak and Gasoline”|
|Level 8||Hip-Hop-Rock||“Shut It Down”|
|The Polite Society||Jazz-Rock||“100 Degrees”|
These artists have successfully blended different genres to create something fresh and new. Their songs are unique and offer a fresh perspective on traditional music genres.
4. Pros and Cons of Exploring New Genres at Live Music Events
While exploring new genres at live music events can be a thrilling experience, it may not be for everyone. Here are some pros and cons to consider:
- Discover new sounds and genres
- Expand your musical horizons
- Experience new cultures
- Meet like-minded individuals
- May not appeal to everyone’s taste
- Can be overwhelming for those unfamiliar with a genre
- May require purchasing new equipment or instruments to play
- May require additional time and effort to learn a new style of music
Overall, exploring new genres at live music events can be a rewarding experience. It allows you to discover unique sounds, meet new people, and expand your musical horizons. However, it may not be for everyone, and it’s important to consider the pros and cons before delving into a new genre.
How to Plan a Perfect Night Out for Live Music in Tallahassee
Tallahassee is a lively city with a vibrant music scene. The city is home to various live music venues where locals and tourists can enjoy their favorite music genres.
If you’re looking to plan a night out for live music in Tallahassee, there are a few things you need to consider to make the experience memorable. In this article, we’ll guide you through the steps to plan the perfect night out for live music in Tallahassee, from choosing the right venue to staying safe.
1. Choose the Right Venue
The right venue can make or break your night out. It’s essential to choose a place that caters to your music preferences and provides a comfortable and safe atmosphere.
Here are a few things to consider while choosing the right venue for live music in Tallahassee:
– Music Genre: Different live music venues in Tallahassee cater to different music genres. If you’re a fan of country music, venues like The Moon or Fifth and Thomas are the perfect places to go. If you’re into indie rock or alternative music, Club Downunder or The Wilbury would be more appropriate. Make sure you research venues that match your music preferences and choose one that you’re comfortable with.
– Location: The location of the venue is another crucial aspect to consider. Some live music venues are located in downtown Tallahassee, while others are in the outskirts of the city. Consider how far you’re willing to travel and how accessible the venue is by public transportation or car.
– Venue Size: The size of the venue matters, as it determines the intimacy of the concert experience. If you’re looking for a more intimate setting, choose smaller venues like The Side Bar or 926 Bar & Grill. However, if you’re looking for a larger crowd and a grander experience, go for bigger venues like The Moon or Coliseum.
2. Look Up Upcoming Shows
Once you’ve selected a live music venue, look up their calendar of events to see which concerts or shows are coming up. Most live music venues update their websites or social media pages with upcoming shows and ticket information.
Here’s why you should look up upcoming shows:
– Ticket availability: Checking the calendar of events beforehand can help you secure tickets for popular shows. Some venues offer early bird tickets or even discounts when you buy tickets online.
– Preparing for the Experience: Knowing the lineup beforehand can help you prepare by familiarizing yourself with the artist’s music, bringing the right clothing, and arranging transportation and accommodation.
3. Arrive Early and Get Your Spot
Arriving early ensures you have a good spot to enjoy the concert, and it also provides a chance to mingle with other attendees.
Here are a few things to consider while arriving early for the concert:
– Parking: Depending on the venue’s location, finding parking can be a task. Arrive early to secure a parking spot near the venue.
– Food and Drinks: Most live music venues offer food and drink options, but the lines can get long before the show. Arriving early gives you enough time to get food and drinks and settle in before the show.
– Mingle: Arriving early gives you a chance to mingle with other attendees and get a feel for the atmosphere.
4. Stay Safe
Attending a live concert can be an exhilarating experience, but it’s crucial to stay safe.
Here are a few tips to stay safe during the concert:
– Know Your Limits: Drinking and partying at a concert can be fun, but make sure you know your limits and drink responsibly.
– Identify Exits: Familiarize yourself with the venue’s exit points to make sure you know where to go in case of an emergency.
– Stay Hydrated: It’s easy to get dehydrated in a crowded place, so make sure you drink plenty of fluids and take breaks if necessary.
5. Enjoy the Experience
Ultimately, the goal of attending a live concert is to enjoy the music and the experience. Don’t forget to immerse yourself in the moment and enjoy the artist’s performance.
Here’s how you can enjoy the experience:
– Sing Along: Don’t be afraid to sing along with your favorite songs and enjoy the music.
– Capture Memories: Taking pictures and videos can help you preserve memories of the concert.
– Embrace the Atmosphere: Live concerts provide a unique and unforgettable experience, embrace the atmosphere of the venue, and let loose.
|Opportunity to experience live music||Tickets can be expensive|
|Chance to mingle with other attendees||Can be crowded and uncomfortable|
|Opportunity to support artists and local music scene||Can be noisy and loud|
|Chance to capture memories||Possible drunken and reckless behavior|
In conclusion, attending a live concert in Tallahassee can be an incredible experience if you plan it out correctly. Make sure to choose the right venue, look up upcoming events, and stay safe during the concert. Most importantly, don’t forget to enjoy the music and the atmosphere.
FAQs: Live Music Tallahassee
What venues in Tallahassee have live music?
Tallahassee has several venues that feature live music, including The Moon, Ruby Diamond Concert Hall, Fifth & Thomas, Bradfordville Blues Club, and The Junction at Monroe.
What types of music are played in Tallahassee?
Tallahassee offers music lovers a diverse range of options, including country, rock, jazz, blues, hip hop, and classical music.
Is live music expensive in Tallahassee?
The cost of live music in Tallahassee varies depending on the venue and the artist performing. Some venues may offer free entry or charge a nominal cover fee, while others may charge more for popular artists or special events.
When is the best time to see live music in Tallahassee?
The best time to enjoy live music in Tallahassee is during the weekends when most venues have their busiest schedule. However, some venues may offer live music on weekdays as well.
Can I bring children to live music events in Tallahassee?
It depends on the venue and the artist performing. Some venues may have age restrictions, while others may allow children accompanied by adults. It is best to check with the respective venue before attending a live music event with children.
Does Tallahassee have any outdoor live music events?
Yes, Tallahassee hosts several outdoor live music events throughout the year, such as the Tallahassee Music Week, Downtown Getdown, and Springtime Tallahassee.
Are there any live music events specifically for college students in Tallahassee?
Yes, Tallahassee has a vibrant college music scene, with several venues offering live music events specifically for college students. Some popular venues among college students include Potbelly’s, The Strip, and The Wilbury.
What is the dress code for live music events in Tallahassee?
The dress code for live music events in Tallahassee is generally casual. However, some venues may have a specific dress code that must be followed.
Can I request songs at live music events in Tallahassee?
It depends on the artist performing and the venue. Some artists may take requests from the audience, while others may have a planned setlist. It is best to check with the respective venue before attending a live music event.
Are there any historic venues for live music in Tallahassee?
Yes, Tallahassee has several historic venues that offer live music, such as The Moon, Ruby Diamond Concert Hall, and Bradfordville Blues Club. These venues have been around for several decades and have hosted numerous legendary artists over the years.
If you’re a music lover, Tallahassee offers a vibrant and diverse live music scene, with several venues featuring different types of music. Whether you’re looking for a night out with your friends, a date with your significant other, or a fun night with your family, there’s something for everyone in Tallahassee’s live music scene. Don’t forget to check out the outdoor live music events and historic venues that the city has to offer. After reading this article, you should have a good idea of what to expect when attending a live music event in Tallahassee. So put on your dancing shoes, and let the music move you!
If you’re interested in reading more about Tallahassee’s attractions or events, check out our other articles on the city’s museums, restaurants, and festivals.
Goodbye, and have fun exploring Tallahassee!