Hello music lovers! Are you tired of the same old music scene in Manchester, NH? Do you wish to experience the thrill and excitement of live music? If so, then you’re in luck! In this article, we’ll be exploring the dynamic and growing live music scene in Manchester, NH. We’ll be discussing everything from where to catch the best live shows, to the diverse range of music genres to suit all tastes. Strap in and get ready for an unforgettable musical journey!
By the end of this article, you’ll have a thorough understanding of the vibrant live music culture that exists in our beloved city. You’ll know precisely where to go to catch the most entertaining, high-energy performances, and you’ll have a newfound appreciation for the diverse range of talented artists who are making waves in Manchester’s music scene.
If you’re looking for a solution to your musical cravings, then look no further! We’ve got you covered. In this article, we’ll be introducing you to some of the most iconic music venues in Manchester, NH. We’ll tell you all about the up-and-coming bands and seasoned performers who are taking the music scene by storm. By the end of this article, you’ll be itching to get out there and experience live music like never before!
Best Live Music Venues in Manchester, NH
Manchester, New Hampshire, may be a small city, but it has a thriving music scene. Many up-and-coming artists perform in the city’s music venues where locals and tourists alike gather to enjoy live music. In this article, we’ll be discussing the best live music venues in Manchester, NH, and what to expect when visiting them.
The Palace Theatre
One of Manchester’s historic landmarks is The Palace Theatre. The theatre was built in 1914 and is one of the oldest and most impressive venues in the city. The Palace Theatre provides entertainment of all sorts including movies, plays, and musicals.
- The History. The Palace Theatre is a historic building that was at risk of being demolished due to its dilapidated state. In 1974, a group of citizens formed a non-profit association to save the theatre. With support from the community, they raised funds and completed extensive renovations, including restoring the beautiful murals on the ceiling. Today, the Palace Theatre is a largely self-supporting performing arts center.
- The Facilities. The Palace Theatre is a beautiful, spacious, and well-designed venue that can hold over 1,000 people. The theatre has a balcony area and a main floor area, both with great views of the stage. Each performance includes live music, theatre, or comedy shows.
- Reviews. According to the reviews, The Palace Theatre is one of the best venues in Manchester to watch high-quality performances. Visitors praise its stunning architecture, great acoustics, and warm atmosphere.
If you’re looking for a venue that offers a mix of entertainment options and impressive shows, The Palace Theatre is a great choice.
Jewel Music Venue
Jewel Music Venue is known for hosting well-known artists and up-and-coming bands.
- The Artists. Jewel Music Venue has hosted a diverse range of musicians, including Bonnie Raitt, Tower of Power, and Matt and Kim. The venue is also a popular spot for local bands, which gives them a chance to perform in front of a large audience and attract a following.
- The Atmosphere. The vibe of Jewel Music Venue is laid back and intimate, with a capacity of around 300 people. The venue’s interior is well-designed, with a full bar, dance floor, and tables for seating.
- Reviews. Visitors to Jewel Music Venue appreciate the venue’s unique design, friendly staff, and unbeatable live performances. Many comment on how Jewel is the ideal spot for a night out with friends or a date night.
If you’re looking for an intimate setting to watch talented musicians up close, Jewel Music Venue is certainly worth checking out.
The Shaskeen Pub
The Shaskeen Pub is a popular bar in Manchester that hosts local live music acts.
- The Music. The Shaskeen Pub hosts a wide range of local bands, from indie rockers to acoustic singer-songwriters. The pub also hosts open mic nights, where anyone can sign up and showcase their talent.
- The Atmosphere. The Shaskeen Pub is a casual spot with a lively vibe. The pub’s decor is simple and understated, with a full bar and seating for around 100 people.
- Reviews. Several locals consider The Shaskeen to be one of the best music venues in Manchester. Visitors refer to the pub as the perfect spot for an after-work drink, with a great selection of local beers and delicious food on the menu. According to reviews, the pub has a convivial atmosphere, friendly staff, and fantastic live music.
If you want a laid-back spot to enjoy local tunes and have some drinks and food with friends, The Shaskeen Pub is a great choice.
Overall, Manchester, NH has an exciting live music scene with venues ranging from historic theaters to intimate clubs. Whether you’re looking for a night out with your loved ones, a first date, or an opportunity to discover new talent, the city is the perfect destination for music lovers. Below is a table that summarizes the pros and cons of each venue.
|The Palace Theatre||Historic, spacious, and impressive venue. Hosts a variety of entertainment options. Great acoustics, friendly staff.||Tickets are expensive for some shows. Parking may be a challenge in the evenings.|
|Jewel Music Venue||Has hosted well-known artists and talented up-and-comers. Intimate atmosphere, unique design, and fantastic drinks.||Can get crowded during peak hours. Sound quality may vary depending on the band playing.|
|The Shaskeen Pub||Excellent spot for local tunes or open mic nights. Friendly staff, great selection of beer and food.||May have to stand during peak hours. Sound quality may vary depending on the band playing.|
All in all, no matter which music venue you choose in Manchester, NH, you are bound to have an unforgettable and enjoyable experience.
Why Manchester, NH is a hub for live music lovers
Manchester, New Hampshire may not be a city that immediately comes to mind when thinking about live music scenes, but it has recently gained a reputation as a top destination for music aficionados. From a vibrant community of local musicians to a diverse array of music venues, there are numerous reasons why Manchester is quickly becoming a hub for live music lovers.
A Thriving Local Music Community
One of the key reasons why Manchester has become a hub for live music lovers is the city’s thriving local music community. The music scene in Manchester is diverse and inclusive, with a large number of talented musicians spanning a wide range of genres. From indie rock to blues, country to hip-hop, there is something for everyone in Manchester.
- Manchester has a rich history in producing exceptional musicians. In the early 2010s, Manchester’s indie music scene exploded, with bands such as The Indie Band and The Nightingales playing in Manchester’s Night & Day Cafe. These bands paved the way for numerous other indie rock outfits, including The 1975 and Everything Everything, who also hail from Manchester.
- Manchester’s music scene is also known for its hip-hop and rap talents. Local artists such as PATWIC and Super Smash Bros have gained notoriety in the area for their exceptional lyricism and flow. In recent years, Manchester has even hosted concerts and events for nationally known hip-hop artists, such as Chance the Rapper and Kendrick Lamar.
- Manchester is home to over 100 bands and solo artists, making for an eclectic and vibrant local music scene. Venues like the Shaskeen, Strange Brew Tavern, and The Palace Theatre offer plenty of opportunities to catch a live show from local musicians.
A Wide Range of Music Venues
Another reason why Manchester has become a hub for live music is the wide range of venues that cater to music lovers. From intimate coffeehouses to large arenas, there is no shortage of places to catch live music in Manchester.
- The SNHU Arena is a popular venue that hosts national and international acts of all genres. Past performers include Elton John, Fleetwood Mac, and The Rolling Stones.
- The Palace Theatre is another popular venue in Manchester that caters to a more theatrical experience. They host everything from plays and musicals to concerts and stand-up comedy.
- Smaller venues such as the Shaskeen and Strange Brew Tavern are great for catching locally sourced talent in a cozy, intimate atmosphere.
A Love for Diversity and Inclusivity
Another important aspect of Manchester’s music scene that draws live music lovers from far and wide is the city’s commitment to diversity and inclusivity. Manchester takes pride in its diverse community, and the music scene is no exception.
- The Manchester Community Music School has been offering music education and resources to the surrounding community for over 25 years. Their programs include everything from group music classes to private instrument instruction, catering to all ages and musical styles.
- The Womxn’s March NH, a branch of the national Womxn’s March movement, has been active in Manchester since 2017. The group frequently organizes benefit concerts and events that feature diverse lineups of musicians and performers.
- Manchester celebrates Pride Month every June with a series of events that includes live music performances from LGBTQ+ artists.
Pros and Cons of Manchester’s Live Music Scene
While Manchester’s live music scene is undoubtedly vibrant, it does come with its own set of pros and cons.
|Large variety of music genres available||The scene can be oversaturated with local musicians at times|
|Diverse and inclusive community of music lovers||Some venues can be expensive, limiting accessibility for some|
|Opportunities to catch nationally and internationally known acts at larger venues||During the winter months, some outdoor venues may not be accessible due to weather conditions|
In conclusion, Manchester, NH has become a hub for live music lovers due to its thriving local music scene, diverse array of music venues, and commitment to inclusivity and diversity. From hip-hop and indie rock to theatre and comedy, the city offers a wide variety of live music experiences for people of all tastes and ages. While there may be some drawbacks to the live music scene in Manchester, overall it remains a vibrant and exciting destination for music lovers of all stripes.
The Insider’s Guide to Live Music in Manchester, NH
Manchester, New Hampshire, is a vibrant city that has become internationally recognized for its growing live music scene. Manchester’s various venues host a variety of famous musicians annually. If you are a music lover and you happen to be in Manchester, NH, you will undoubtedly enjoy the many fantastic performances throughout the city. Here is a breakdown of the live music scene in Manchester, NH:
The Best Venues for Live Music in Manchester, NH
Whether you are a long-time resident or just visiting, you are sure to find a perfect spot to catch some live music in Manchester, NH.
- The Shaskeen Pub: The Shaskeen has become a popular spot for live music enthusiasts who enjoy more independent and alternative acts. It is known for showcasing a range of top talents.
- Bungalow: Bungalow is one of Manchester, NH’s newest music hotspots, operating as a restaurant by day and a cozy music venue by night, where locals and tourists may relax and listen to great sounds.
- SNHU Arena: For the larger, more popular acts, the Southern New Hampshire University Arena (SNHU) is the ideal venue. The facility can hold around 11,000 fans and has produced shows with artists such as Bruce Springsteen, Justin Timberlake, and Ariana Grande.
While there are many other venues in Manchester, NH, these stand out as the most frequented and well-known to both resident and visiting music enthusiasts.
The Best Live Music Festivals in Manchester, NH
Manchester, NH, is quickly establishing itself as a hub for live music festivals in New England. From the Manchester Music Festival to the Hippo de Mayo Taco Challenge, these festivals are great ways to bring the community together to celebrate music and good food.
Manchester Music Festival
This festival takes place annually in August and attracts a broad range of world-renowned performers. Guests may sit on chairs or bring blankets and relax on the grass while listening to some great music.
Hippo de Mayo Taco Challenge
Hippo de Mayo Taco Challenge is held every year in May in downtown Manchester, NH. The festival is a celebration of music, food, and drink, as well as the culmination of a statewide quest for New Hampshire’s best taco. Live bands are a big part of the event’s enjoyment.
The Pros and Cons of Live Music in Manchester, NH
|Local Talent||Manchester, NH is home to a plethora of talented musicians, and the live music scene is an excellent way to showcase and celebrate that talent.|
|Diversity||When it comes to musical talent, Manchester, NH has something for everyone, from indie music to hip hop to country music. Touring acts can also be found in Manchester, NH regularly.|
|Sense of Community||The live music scene in Manchester, NH fosters a sense of community through shared experiences and a mutual love of good music. It provides locals and visitors with a way to come together and socialize.|
- Noise Pollution: Some Manchester, NH residents have complained about the noise produced from late-night live music events.
- Occasional Cancellation: Occasionally, live music events may be canceled due to weather, technical difficulties, or other reasons. These cancellations may cause frustration and inconvenience for attendees.
- Tickets: When famous artists come to Manchester, NH, tickets can be challenging to purchase or become too expensive, which can lead to a frustrating experience for music lovers.
Despite the cons, the live music scene in Manchester, NH is generally seen as one of the many activities that locals and tourists enjoy. Whether you are a first-time visitor or a regular to the city, the live music scene is worth experiencing.
Upcoming live music events in Manchester, NH
As one of the top cultural hubs in New England, Manchester, NH offers a vibrant music scene with various live performances happening throughout the year. Whether you’re a fan of rock, country, blues or pop, you’re sure to find a show that will get you tapping your feet and singing along! In this article, we’ll take a closer look at some of the upcoming live music events in Manchester, NH that you won’t want to miss.
Downtown Manchester Music Festival
The Downtown Manchester Music Festival has been bringing free, live music to the streets of Manchester for 23 years. The festival features a diverse lineup of local and regional bands, musicians, and performers playing music ranging from rock, blues, jazz, folk, and everything in between. This year’s festival will take place on August 6th-7th, and will feature headliners such as the Adam Ezra Group, Jesse Dee, and Kat Wright.
This year’s festival will be held over two days, showcasing over 50 performances across multiple stages set up throughout Manchester’s downtown area. The festival is free to attend and always draws in a large and lively crowd. The festival also offers food and drink vendors, artisan booths, and kid-friendly activities.
Hippo de Mayo Taco Festival
The Hippo de Mayo Taco Festival takes place every year in May and draws visitors from all over the region. Beyond live music, the festival also features an epic taco battle, where local restaurants compete for the title of best taco in Manchester. The festival showcases over 50 vendors including local restaurants, brewers, and artists while people celebrate local music and food.
This will be the fifth year that the festival is hosted in Manchester, offering visitors a unique and exciting experience. The festival has drawn talented musical performers such as Tristan Orchid and Gypsy Bowl. This year the festival is slated for May 1st.
The Palace Theatre
The Palace Theatre is a historical performing arts venue in Downtown Manchester, showcasing a diverse selection of music, dance, comedy and theater performances. The theatre hosts touring acts, local artists, and national names. This year, The Palace Theatre will be hosting events such as “1964 The Tribute,” a Beatles cover band, The Glenn Miller Orchestra, and Sunday Senior Socials featuring live Jazz.
One of the unique features about The Palace Theatre is its stunning architecture. The venue has been restored to its 20th-century glory, featuring ornate décor and a 20-foot-high proscenium arch. Guests can enjoy concessions, free parking and easy access to the theatre’s balcony seating or their main seating area.
The SNHU Arena is the largest venue in Manchester, providing a stage for some of the biggest names in music, from Katy Perry to Imagine Dragons. The venue also hosts sports events, conventions and other entertainment events like Cirque de Soleil. This year, the arena is hosting performances from the Harlem Globetrotters, comedian Trevor Noah, and country music sensation Luke Combs.
The arena is equipped with state-of-the-art technology, lighting and sound, providing a top-notch experience for visitors. The venue is located in the heart of Downtown Manchester, providing convenient access to many restaurants, hotels, cafes and bars.
In conclusion, Manchester, NH can be a great destination for music lovers, with its vibrant scene of live music events, festivals and performances. Whatever your musical taste, you’re sure to find an event that suits you. We hope this list of upcoming live music events in Manchester, NH will give you plenty of excitement and entertainment in the coming months!
The History of Live Music in Manchester, NH
Manchester, New Hampshire, is a city known for its long history of live music. The city has been a hub for music enthusiasts and artists since the early 20th century when the first live music venues began to spring up. Over the years, the city has evolved and grown in terms of entertainment options, and today, there is a thriving live music scene in Manchester, NH.
The Early Years: 1900 – 1950
The early years of live music in Manchester, NH, can be traced back to the early 20th century. At that time, the city was a major industrial center, and many workers found solace in music. The first live music venues were typically small bars and clubs that catered to the working-class population. These venues were often cramped, with little space for the performers or the audience. However, they were important gathering places for those who enjoyed live music.
One of the most popular venues during this time was the Palace Theatre. Built in 1914, the Palace Theatre quickly became a cultural center in Manchester, NH. The venue was home to many live performances, including plays, concerts, and dance performances. Over the years, the theatre has undergone several renovations and is now considered one of the most important landmarks in the city.
Another notable venue during this time was the Rex Theatre. Built in 1921, the Rex Theatre was one of the first venues to offer sound movies in the city. The theatre also hosted live music events, including jazz performances by local musicians.
The Golden Age of Live Music: 1950 – 1980
The post-World War II era brought significant changes to the live music scene in Manchester, NH. With the rise of rock and roll, the city’s live music venues began to expand and transform. Venues like the Armory Ballroom and the Steak Loft began to host larger concerts, bringing in national and international acts.
The Armory Ballroom, located in downtown Manchester, NH, was one of the most important music venues during this time. The venue hosted many famous acts, including The Doors, The Who, and Led Zeppelin. Many music lovers in the city still recall fond memories of seeing their favorite bands perform at the Armory.
Another popular venue during this time was the Golden Nugget, which was located on Elm Street. The Golden Nugget was famous for its dinner shows, featuring live music and comedy acts. The venue was especially popular with local college students.
New Directions: 1980 – 2000
The 1980s brought significant changes to the music scene in Manchester, NH. As the city continued to grow, new venues began to emerge, offering a variety of music genres. The Palace Theatre underwent a significant renovation in the 1980s, expanding its seating capacity and hosting larger concerts. In addition, the city began to host annual music festivals, including the Millennium Music Festival and the Granite State Music Festival.
One of the most important venues during this time was the Lowell Street Rialto. The Rialto was a historic movie theatre that was transformed into a live music venue in the 1980s. The venue hosted many famous acts, including the Red Hot Chili Peppers and Nirvana, before it eventually closed in the 1990s.
The Modern Era: 2000 – Present Day
Today, Manchester, NH, boasts a vibrant live music scene that continues to grow and evolve. The city is home to several live music venues, including the Verizon Wireless Arena and the SNHU Arena, which host large concerts and events. In addition, there are numerous smaller venues throughout the city, including the Shaskeen Pub and the Bungalow Bar, that feature local musicians and up-and-coming acts.
One of the most unique venues in Manchester, NH, is the Palace Theatre’s Spotlight Café. The Spotlight Café is an intimate space that hosts concerts and events, featuring local and national acts. The venue has a unique atmosphere, with cabaret-style seating and a full bar.
Overall, the history of live music in Manchester, NH, is a rich and diverse one. From the early days of small clubs to the present-day large arenas, the city has always been a hub for music lovers and artists. Whether you’re a fan of jazz, rock, or country, there’s always something to see and hear in Manchester, NH.
|Live music venues provide entertainment options for residents and visitors, contributing to the local economy||Noise complaints from nearby residents may result in restrictions on live music events in some areas|
|Live music can bring people together and create a sense of community||Some venues may lack adequate sound and lighting, affecting the quality of the performance|
|Live music events can provide exposure for local musicians and help them gain a following||Some venues may have limited seating or standing room, making it uncomfortable for some concert-goers|
FAQs: Live Music Manchester NH
What are some popular live music venues in Manchester, NH?
There are several popular live music venues in Manchester, NH including The Palace Theatre, The Shaskeen, The Bungalow Bar and Grill, and The Currier Museum of Art.
What types of music can I expect to hear in Manchester, NH?
You can expect to hear a wide range of music genres in Manchester, NH including rock, country, jazz, blues, pop, and more. Check the lineup of the venue to see what type of music they will have for the night.
When do live music events typically happen in Manchester, NH?
Most live music events in Manchester, NH happen during the weekends, but some venues may have mid-week events as well. Check the events calendar of the venue to find out exact dates and times.
Are there any outdoor live music events in Manchester, NH?
Yes, Manchester, NH has several outdoor live music events that take place during the summer months. Some of the popular events include the TD Bank Summer Concert Series, the Rockin’ Ribfest, and the Annual Manchester Jazz Festival.
Do I need to purchase tickets in advance for live music events in Manchester, NH?
It is recommended to purchase tickets in advance for popular live music events in Manchester, NH as they may sell out quickly. However, some venues may have tickets available at the door.
Where can I find information on upcoming live music events in Manchester, NH?
You can find information on upcoming live music events in Manchester, NH by checking the websites of the popular venues or by searching online event calendars.
What is the age requirement for attending live music events in Manchester, NH?
The age requirement for attending live music events in Manchester, NH may vary depending on the venue and the event. Some venues may have age restrictions for certain events, while others may allow all ages.
Are there any free live music events in Manchester, NH?
Yes, there are several free live music events in Manchester, NH that take place throughout the year. Some of the popular free events include the Summer Concert Series and the Art Walk Weekend.
What should I wear to a live music event in Manchester, NH?
You should wear comfortable clothing and shoes to a live music event in Manchester, NH as most events involve standing or dancing. It is also a good idea to check the weather and dress accordingly for outdoor events.
Can I bring my own food and drinks to a live music event in Manchester, NH?
The policy on bringing your own food and drinks to a live music event in Manchester, NH may vary depending on the venue. Some venues may allow food and non-alcoholic drinks, while others may not allow any outside items.
Manchester, NH is a great place for live music enthusiasts with a variety of venues to choose from, offering a wide range of genres for all tastes. It is recommended to purchase tickets in advance for popular events and to check with the venue regarding policies on food and drink. Don’t miss the chance to enjoy the outdoors during the summer months and attend the several free events that take place throughout the year. After reading this article, check out other interesting articles on events and attractions in Manchester, NH!