Greetings, dear reader! If you’re a music lover living on Long Island, NY, you’ve surely experienced the frustration of finding quality live music acts. With so many venues and bands to choose from, it can be overwhelming to identify the perfect match for your tastes. That’s why today, we’re diving into the world of live music on Long Island, discussing everything from the best venues to the hottest up-and-coming bands, and giving you the tools to find your perfect musical experience.
By the end of this article, you can expect to feel more confident in your ability to navigate Long Island’s live music scene. You’ll have a deeper understanding of the types of music available and the venues that cater to you. You’ll know which bands to look out for and how to find their performances. Most importantly, you’ll be armed with the knowledge you need to have the ultimate live music experience on Long Island.
So, sit back, relax, and get ready to learn everything you need to know about live music on Long Island. With our insider tips and proven tactics, you’re sure to become a Long Island live music aficionado in no time!
Best live music venues on Long Island
Live music is an essential ingredient for any vibrant culture, and Long Island, New York, is no exception. From large concert halls to intimate bars, the Island has a range of live music venues that offer world-class performers and unique local talent. In this section, we’ll explore the top music venues that Long Island has to offer and everything that makes them stand out.
The Nassau Coliseum is one of the prominent concert venues on Long Island, located in Uniondale, New York. The Coliseum can hold up to 16,000 people, making it the perfect space for some of the biggest names in the industry to perform. Here are some reasons why the Nassau Coliseum stands out:
- Location: The concert hall is conveniently located for many Long Island residents, and it’s easily accessible through various forms of transportation like buses, trains and personal cars.
- Facilities: The Nassau Coliseum is well-equipped with a state-of-the-art sound system, lighting, hosted an HD jumbo screen
- Concert Line-up: The venue has a long history of hosting legendary concerts from some of the world’s biggest’s musicians, including Elton John, Billy Joel, Pink Floyd, and Fleetwood Mac. It’s also the home stadium for the New York Islanders of the NHL.
If you’re planning to attend an event at the Nassau Coliseum and need a bite before or after a concert or game, Bryant and Cooper Steakhouse are close by restaurants that you can try out.
The Nassau Coliseum has indeed helped put Long Island on the map as a live music event destination, and it continues to be an excellent venue for decades.
The Paramount is a highly praised small music venue located in the heart of downtown Huntington. The concert hall is an old-style theatre that has recently been renovated to include complete modern sound and lighting systems. Here are some reasons why you should consider The Paramount.
- Intimate Setting: With a 1600 capacity capacity, The Paramount offers a more intimate setting for the audience, making it an ideal place to enjoy live music.
- Food and Drinks: The venue is perfect for music lovers who would like to enjoy some drinks and food while listening to their favourite performers as they have a menu of various drinks and cuisine available to choose from.
- Free Parking: An uncommon scenario for music venues, The Paramount offers free on-site parking, making it an excellent location for people with an accessibility standard.
If you’re looking for some pre-concert activities in the vicinity, you might want to visit the Huntington Farmers Market that offers locally sourced vegetables, fruit and wine, all just walking distances from Paramount.
In conclusion, The Paramount continues to be a favourite Long Island music venue attracting both established musicians and young rising stars.
My Father’s Place
For a different take on the concert venue, My Father’s Place offers an intimate experience with artists performing up-close and personal while enjoying a meal. The club originally opened in 1971 and closed in the 1980s until it was reopened in Roslyn by Roslyn Hotels & Resorts. Here are some reasons why you might want to check out My Father’s Place.
- Unique Setting: My Father’s Place offers a chic and upscale atmosphere that differentiates it from many typical concert venues.
- Famous Performers: Over the years, My Father’s Place has hosted many top performers, such as Bruce Springsteen and Billy Joel, who played at the original venue several times.
- Daily New Artist Feature: In Addition to top performers who visit, My Father’s Place reserves nightly spots for up-and-coming artists to develop in their mix.
If you’re looking to experience excellent cuisines or go shopping before your concert experience, Americana Manhasset or Wheatley Plaza Mall, are shops that are sure to satisfy those requirements before you head to the club.
My Father’s Place caters to a more exclusive audience seeking a modest yet sophisticated environment. It continues to live up to the standards of other top venues on Long Island.
In conclusion, the Island has a vibrant live music scene, and Music lovers have a wide range of options to choose from based on their taste and preferences. Long Island is a melting pot of cultures, interests, and lifestyle choices that is well represented in its incredible concert venues.
The top Long Island bands you need to see live
Long Island has an extensive music scene that has been thriving since the 1960s. There is no shortage of local bands playing in bars, clubs, and event venues year-round. But some bands stand out above the rest, with a sound and performance that demands attention. These are the bands you need to see live.
Formed in 1995, The Electrix are a Long Island-based band that has been serving up high-octane rock and roll for over two decades. They’ve played with some of the biggest names in rock, including the Steve Miller Band, Foghat, and Jefferson Starship. Their sound is heavily influenced by the Grateful Dead, but they don’t just play covers. They put their unique spin on classic songs and have a repertoire of original music that’s equally impressive.
- The Electrix have been playing together for over 25 years.
- The band is made up of Joe Roberts (lead guitar, vocals), Rich Krueger (bass, vocals), Johnny Markowski (drums, vocals), and Aron Scott (rhythm guitar, vocals).
- The Electrix have played at major music festivals, including Gathering of the Vibes and the Great South Bay Music Festival.
- The Electrix were the first band ever to play at the new Nassau Coliseum in 2017, opening for Billy Joel.
The Electrix put on a show that’s both electrifying and entertaining. They have a loyal fanbase that follows them from one gig to the next, and they always deliver a performance that leaves the audience wanting more.
Wonderous Stories is a progressive rock band from Long Island that was formed in the early 2000s. They’re known for their elaborate compositions and intricate instrumental work. Their music is heavily influenced by classic prog bands like Yes and Genesis, but they’ve also been known to incorporate elements of jazz, funk, and other genres into their sound.
- Wonderous Stories were named after a song by the progressive rock band Yes.
- The band is made up of George Cintron (guitar, vocals), Billy Spillane (keyboards, vocals), Louie Senor (bass, vocals), and Chris Fasulo (drums).
- Wonderous Stories have released multiple albums and EPs, including their most recent album, “It’s All Around You,” in 2020.
- In 2013, Wonderous Stories won the Long Island Music Hall of Fame’s “Best Tribute Band” award for their tribute to Yes.
Wonderous Stories’ music is a journey that takes the listener through various moods and emotions. Their live performances are a spectacle, with each band member showcasing their musical prowess. If you’re a fan of progressive rock, Wonderous Stories is a band you don’t want to miss.
The Mystic is a Long Island-based band that plays a mix of blues, rock, and soul. They’ve been playing together since the 1980s and have released several albums throughout their career. Their music is heavily influenced by the classic blues musicians of the ’50s and ’60s, but they also incorporate elements of funk, R&B, and rock into their sound.
- The Mystic was formed in 1981 by guitarist and vocalist Rich Figaro.
- The band is currently made up of Rich Figaro (guitar, vocals), John Miceli (drums, vocals), Johnny “Mack” McIntyre (bass, vocals), and Paul Loren (keys, saxophone, vocals).
- The Mystic have played with some of the biggest names in blues and rock, including B.B. King, Buddy Guy, and Aerosmith.
- The Mystic’s most recent album, “Mystified,” was released in 2020.
The Mystic’s live shows are full of energy and soul. Their music will get you moving and keep you grooving all night long. If you’re a fan of blues, rock, or soul, The Mystic is a band you need to see live.
|The Electrix||Wonderous Stories||The Mystic|
|Genre||Rock, jam band||Progressive rock||Blues, rock, soul|
|Influences||The Grateful Dead||Yes, Genesis||Classic blues musicians|
|Years active||Over 25||Over 15||Over 30|
|Notable achievements||Played at Nassau Coliseum, opened for Billy Joel||Won “Best Tribute Band” award from Long Island Music Hall of Fame||Played with B.B. King, Buddy Guy, and Aerosmith|
In conclusion, Long Island is home to some of the best bands in the world, and these three bands are just the tip of the iceberg. If you’re a music lover, make sure to check out the Long Island music scene and discover your next favorite band.
Top Music Venues on Long Island
Live music venues can provide unique experiences for music lovers; they give you the chance to actually see, feel and experience the energy of music up close and personal. From intimate settings to spacious amphitheaters, Long Island’s music scene has it all. Here are some of the top music venues on Long Island that stand out from the rest:
Located in Huntington, the Paramount is known to be one of the most famous venues on Long Island. It is considered to be the perfect spot for music and entertainment because of its exceptional architecture and acoustics. Here are some interesting facts about The Paramount:
- The Paramount was originally a movie theater that was built in 1927 and underwent a renovation in 2011 to become one of the essential atmospheric theatres which can hold around 1,555 people.
- It has co-hosted several memorable events including MTV unplugged, Gibson/Baldwin music center, and Heineken Red Star Access.
- Since its opening in 2011, The Paramount has hosted several popular performers including Billy Joel, Ed Sheeran, and Bruce Springsteen.
There’s no motivation to wait – purchase tickets and reserve a spot at The Paramount and experience live arrangements of some of the world’s most prominent artists in an excellent setting.
NYCB Theatre at Westbury
Recognized for its unique round shape design, the NYCB Theatre in Westbury was initially opened as one part of the North Shore Music Theater in 1956. It was a significant venue that used to host some of the brightest stars of stage and screen at the time, like Liza Minnelli, and famous comedians such as Jerry Seinfeld. Here are some of the most interesting facts about NYCB Theatre at Westbury:
- It’s located in the heart of Long Island; this theater is a relatively intimate venue that holds roughly 3,000 people. It’s a space that is both personal and large, so the audience gets the best of both worlds.
- You can also find and attend comedy shows and other special events, such as tribute concerts, talent competitions or celebrity appearances; this venue has something in store for everyone.
- The theater is the only theater within 50 miles that has a revolving stage, which grants customers an added layer of entertainment during a performance.
NYCB Theater at Westbury is a place to indulge in a music, Broadway shows, comedy, and more; this venue will surely provide you with an unforgettable experience.
The Space at Westbury
The Space at Westbury has established itself as an excellent venue for artists of different genres since it was opened in 2013. This music venue is a unique gem, located in Westbury, Long Island. Here are some of the most interesting facts about The Space at Westbury:
- The Space is situated in a former movie theater in the heart of Long Island; this venue can accommodate up to around 1,500 people, but it mostly houses intimate shows.
- It was constructed with acoustics in mind, and exceptional live performances with breath-taking sound quality are held here regularly.
- The venue has a spacious dance floor, a full bar, and well-staged seating, which grants its audience clear sight-lines towards the stage. The Space is intimate enough to provide a unique experience for each performer and connoisseur.
The Space at Westbury has an excellent, cozy atmosphere and a commendable set of features. Catching several great performances here is a memory to be cherished for a lifetime.
|The Paramount||1,555||Exceptional acoustics||A historic venue that was once a movie theater|
|NYCB Theatre at Westbury||3,000||Revolving stage||Unique turntable stage providing a unique experience.|
|The Space at Westbury||1,500||Full bar||Built with acoustics in mind, which provides an exceptional live performance experience.|
In conclusion, Long Island’s vibrant music scene has an array of music venues available for music lovers which can cater for any taste or preference. These three music venues are among the top ones that Long Island has to offer, however, there are so many more for you to explore and enjoy. Catching live performances at these venues is undoubtedly a worthwhile experience for any connoisseur.
The history of live music on Long Island
Long Island has a long history of live music with its vibrant music scene dating back to the early 1900s. The region has been a breeding ground for many renowned musicians and has contributed significantly to the development of popular genres such as Jazz, rock, and roll, and hip-hop. In this section, we will delve deeper into the history of live music on Long Island and explore the following subtopics:
1. Early Years of Live Music on Long Island
Live music on Long Island can be traced back to the early 1900s, when music lovers flocked to theaters and music venues throughout the region. Theatrical performances with live music shows were popular at the turn of the century, and Long Island was no exception. Music halls like Pine Aire and the Brooklyn Auditorium, emerged in the early 1920s and attracted top musicians, including Duke Ellington, Fats Waller, and Dizzy Gillespie.
2. The Evolution of Genres on Long Island
Long Island’s music scene evolved with the emergence of various music genres. The region has contributed significantly to the development of popular genres such as Jazz, rock, and roll, and hip-hop. Jazz, in particular, gained huge popularity in Long Island with some of the great Jazz legends, like John Coltrane, Miles Davis, and Stan Getz, performing live in various clubs throughout the region. The Beatles also performed three times at the Westbury Music Fair on Long Island in 1964 and 1965, solidifying the region’s role in the evolution of rock and roll music.
3. The Role of Live Music Venues
Live music venues play a significant role in promoting live music on Long Island. Some of the most iconic and influential music venues in Long Island include The Paramount, Nassau Coliseum, Jones Beach Boardwalk Bandshell, and the Bolton Center of Performing Arts. These venues have hosted numerous musical acts of different genres and played a significant role in shaping Long Island’s music scene.
4. The Impact of Live Music on Long Island Economy
The impact of live music on the Long Island economy cannot be overstated. Live music events attract large crowds of locals and tourists alike, providing a significant boost to local businesses and revenue generation. A report by the Economic Development Corporation found that live music events in 2018 generated nearly $200 million in revenues for Long Island, supporting close to 2,500 jobs.
- Pros to the Long Island Music Scene:
- Contributes to the growth of the regional economy.
- Cultural enrichment through exposure to different genres of music.
- Job creation opportunities for locals.
- Noisy environment causing discomfort to the local residents.
- Possible safety concerns during large concerts.
- Parking issues around music venues.
In conclusion, Long Island’s music scene has come a long way since the early 1900s. The region has contributed significantly to the development of popular music genres and attracted some of the biggest names in music to perform live in venues throughout the area. Live music events continue to be a significant boost to the local economy, creating employment opportunities and supporting local businesses.
How to Find the Best Live Music Venues on Long Island: Tips and Tricks
If you’re a music lover and looking for good live music events on Long Island, you’re in luck because this area is filled with talented musicians, local bands, and great venues. Finding the perfect venue with your preferred genre of music can be overwhelming if you’re new to the area. Here are some tips and tricks to help you discover the best live music in Long Island.
1. Check Out Music Blogs and Websites
One of the best ways to discover live music on Long Island is by checking out music blogs and websites dedicated to live music events. You’ll find a list of popular music venues, the upcoming live music events in the area, popular acts, reviews, and tickets through those sites. Here are a few popular websites you can use to discover live music:
Some popular radio stations like WBAB radio station have daily or weekly segments that recommend the best live music around the island.
2. Use Social Media
Social Media platforms such as Facebook, Instagram, Twitter have become effective tools to discover upcoming live music events and keep you up to date with local bands in the Long Island area. Facebook groups such as ‘Long Island Live Music Scene,’ ‘Long Island Bands,’ ‘Folk Music Society of Huntington,’ are updated regularly with upcoming local events. By following local music venues or individual musicians on social media platforms, you get to know about their performances and exclusive gigs taking place in the area.
3. Ask Friends, Colleagues or Bar Staff
When it comes to finding the best live music venues in Long Island, word-of-mouth is a valuable tool. Ask friends, colleagues or bar staff to recommend local bands or venues that host live music events. You might discover the hidden gems and best venues that aren’t listed on regular sites. Don’t be afraid to ask, and you might be surprised by recommendations you’ve never heard of.
4. Check Out Local Neighborhoods
Long Island neighborhoods like Huntington, Port Jefferson, Patchogue, and Montauk are popular places for live music events. Many local bars, restaurants, patios, and town squares have live music events planned throughout the year. By visiting local neighborhoods and checking local event listings, you can discover new bands, enjoy good food, and enjoy your favorite music.
5. Explore Long Island Festivals
Long Island music festivals offer a unique experience to enjoy different genres of music while making new friends. There are several music festivals that take place in Long Island throughout the year. Most festivals feature local bands, food vendors, and a fantastic atmosphere. Some of the popular music festivals in Long Island are:
|The Great South Bay Music Festival||July||Patchogue, NY||Rock, Blues, Jazz, Reggae, Country|
|Long Beach International Film Festival||September||Long Beach, NY||Multi-genre|
|Gateway Jazz Festival||June||Bellport, NY||Jazz|
The Pros of Long Island Music Festivals
- Discover and Enjoy Different Genres of Music
- Meet New People
- Support Local Artists
Long Island music festivals offer a great opportunity to listen and enjoy different genres of music, which is perfect for music lovers who want to discover new music while having fun.
People from all over Long Island come together to enjoy music festivals, making it easy to connect with new people who have a shared passion for music.
Most of the music festivals, including the Great South Bay Music Festival, feature local bands, which is an excellent way to support local artists and the community.
The Cons of Long Island Music Festivals
- Expensive Tickets and Accommodation
Attending music festivals can be pricey, especially for out-of-towners. The cost of tickets, parking, and accommodation can be a significant expense.
Most music festivals attract large crowds resulting in long lines, overcrowding, and congestion. It can take time to get parking, find refreshments, or restrooms.
The weather is unpredictable, and it may rain or become too hot, making it less enjoyable.
In conclusion, finding the best live music venues in Long Island requires a little bit of research and exploration. With the above tips and by attending music festivals, you can discover new artists and enjoy live music events that cater to your interests.
FAQs: Live Music Long Island
What are the top venues for live music on Long Island?
There are several top venues for live music on Long Island such as The Paramount in Huntington, Jones Beach Theater in Wantagh, and Westhampton Beach Performing Arts Center in Westhampton Beach. Other popular venues include The Space at Westbury, The Suffolk Theater in Riverhead, and the YMCA Boulton Center for the Performing Arts in Bay Shore.
What type of live music can I find on Long Island?
Long Island offers a variety of live music genres such as rock, jazz, blues, country, pop, and classical. You can find music to suit any taste or preference, whether you’re into indie bands or classical symphonies.
What are some upcoming live music events on Long Island?
Some upcoming live music events on Long Island include Billy Joel at Madison Square Garden, The Rolling Stones at MetLife Stadium, and the Great South Bay Music Festival in Patchogue. You can also check local venue calendars for other upcoming shows.
Is it easy to find live music on Long Island?
Yes, it’s easy to find live music on Long Island. There are many venues that host live music and you can find listings in local newspapers, on venue websites, or on dedicated event websites such as Long Island Live Music.
What are some family-friendly live music events on Long Island?
Some family-friendly live music events on Long Island include the Harry Chapin Lakeside Theater Summer Concert Series in Eisenhower Park, the Jones Beach Bandshell Summer Concert Series, and the Huntington Summer Arts Festival. These events offer free admission and entertainment for all ages.
What is the dress code for live music events on Long Island?
The dress code for live music events on Long Island varies depending on the venue and the type of music being played. Some venues may have a strict dress code, while others may not have any guidelines. It’s always best to check the venue’s website or call ahead to inquire.
Can I bring my own food and drinks to live music events on Long Island?
Most venues on Long Island do not allow outside food and drinks to be brought in. However, many venues offer their own food and drinks for purchase. It’s best to check the venue’s policies or call ahead to inquire.
What is the cost of admission for live music events on Long Island?
The cost of admission for live music events on Long Island varies depending on the venue, the artist, and the type of event. Some events may be free, while others may cost upwards of $100 or more. It’s always best to check the venue’s website or call ahead to inquire about ticket prices.
Are there any 18+ or 21+ live music events on Long Island?
Yes, there are many 18+ and 21+ live music events on Long Island. Some venues may have age restrictions based on the type of event or the presence of alcohol, so it’s always best to check the venue’s website or call ahead to inquire about age requirements.
Can I book a private event with live music on Long Island?
Yes, many venues on Long Island offer private event spaces with live music. It’s best to contact the venue directly to inquire about availability and pricing.
Long Island has a vibrant live music scene with many top venues, festivals, and events. From rock to jazz to classical, there’s music to suit all tastes and preferences. Whether you’re looking for a family-friendly event or a night out with friends, Long Island has plenty of options. Check out local venue calendars or event websites to find upcoming shows and events. After enjoying some live music, explore Long Island’s many other attractions such as beaches, wineries, and museums. Thank you for reading and don’t forget to check out our other interesting articles!