Welcome to the ancient city of St. Augustine, where history and music meet to create unforgettable experiences! In this article, we’ll explore the vibrant live music scene in this charming city that has been attracting visitors for over five centuries. Whether you’re a music lover, a history buff, or a traveler in search of new experiences, St. Augustine has something for everyone. So, get ready to immerse yourself in the unique blend of cultures, sounds, and stories that make this city so special.
If you’re tired of the same old music venues and predictable playlists, you’ve come to the right place. Our article will guide you through the best places to listen to live music in St. Augustine, from intimate jazz clubs to lively outdoor festivals. You’ll discover the hidden gems of the city’s music scene, get insider tips from locals and musicians, and learn how to make the most of your time in this magical place. By the end of this article, you’ll have a newfound appreciation for the diversity, creativity, and authenticity of St. Augustine’s music culture.
Are you ready to experience a musical journey that will transport you to another time and place? Our article will not only introduce you to the best venues and events but also dive into the history and traditions behind the music in St. Augustine. You’ll learn about the influence of Spanish, African, and Native American cultures on the city’s music, and discover how musicians have carried on these legacies throughout the centuries. So, whether you’re looking for a soulful blues performance or a lively salsa party, join us on this musical adventure and discover why St. Augustine is one of the most unique and captivating destinations in the world.
Best Live Music Venues in St Augustine
St. Augustine is known for its rich history, beautiful beaches, and vibrant live music scene. The city offers a diverse range of live music venues that cater to all ages and musical tastes. Whether you are a rock and roll die-hard or a lover of jazz, there is something for everyone in St. Augustine’s live music scene. In this article, we will explore the best live music venues in St. Augustine and what makes them stand out from the rest.
Venue Atmosphere and Ambience
One of the most important factors that makes a live music venue stand out is its atmosphere and ambience. A well-designed and decorated venue with a great sound system and lighting can make an incredible impact on the audience’s overall experience. Here are some of the best live music venues in St. Augustine that pay attention to detail when it comes to creating an incredible atmosphere.
- The Ponte Vedra Concert Hall: Located just outside the city, this venue has a capacity of 800 and is known for its intimate setting and incredible acoustics. The decor is modern and minimalist, which keeps the focus on the music. It is an indoor venue and offers seating and standing options. Their technical production team ensures top-notch lighting and sound capabilities, leaving a lasting visual and auditory impression.
- Saint Augustine Amphitheatre: This outdoor venue is a local favorite and can hold up to 4,000 people. It is situated in a beautiful location with oak trees overhanging the stage, and the St. John’s River in the background. The venue has been refurbished many times over the years and now houses a state-of-the-art sound system and lighting rig. They have ample parking space and concession stands to make sure you enjoy every bit of what they offer.
- Prohibition Kitchen: Located in the heart of St. Augustine’s historic district, Prohibition Kitchen offers live music from Thursday to Sunday every week. The vintage decor is one of the factors that make Prohibition Kitchen stand out. The owners made sure that the original details of the building did not get lost in the restoration process. They serve a wide range of fresh, locally sourced food and drinks, which makes it an ideal place to relax, eat and enjoy live music.
Musical Genre and Talent Pool
Every music lover has their genre preference, and that is why it is essential to choose a live music venue that caters to your musical taste. Some venues are known for booking specific genres of music, while others try to offer a more diverse range. Below are some of the best live music venues in St. Augustine when it comes to both diversity and talent in the music industry.
- Café Eleven: This cozy venue is known for its eclectic musical offerings. From local bands to well-known touring acts, Café Eleven has something for everyone. The venue is situated at the beach, and its outdoor patio has a chilled atmosphere that makes it great for after-dinner cocktails and casual live performances.
- Colonial Quarter: With 10-acres and four different stages, the Colonial Quarter is a hub for live music in St. Augustine. The venue hosts various live music performances ranging from indie rock to reggae, that attract a diverse audience. A table is included below to highlight key concepts and comparisons between Colonial Quarter and other venues.
- A1A Ale Works: Located on the bayfront, this venue is a great spot to enjoy live music while having a drink and a meal. The venue books music ranging from jazz to country and has both indoor and outdoor seating options. They have a great selection of craft beer that is brewed on-site, making them a popular spot for locals and tourists alike.
Location and accessibility
St Augustine is a small city, but it is still essential to choose a live music venue that is conveniently located and easily accessible. Here are some of the best live music venues in St. Augustine when it comes to location and accessibility.
- Tradewinds Tropical Lounge: This venue is located near St. Augustine Beach and offers a historic-themed interior. The venue has an intimate atmosphere, making it ideal for smaller gigs. They book musicians of various genres, from rock and roll to reggae, ensuring there’s something for everyone. With its proximity to the beach, Tradewinds is a perfect spot to enjoy music while sipping a cold beer after a long day in the sun.
- Jackie Knight’s Comedy Club and Music Hall: Located on Anastasia Island, this venue is a great spot for music lovers who appreciate diverse and unconventional musical offerings. The venue features live performances by legendary musicians and up-and-coming talent in various genres. The venue has an old-school comedy club vibe that makes for a fun night out. They serve drinks and snacks, and the venue provides free parking on-site, making it convenient for both locals and tourists.
|Venue||Location||Capacity||Seating Options||Genre Diversity|
|The Ponte Vedra Concert Hall||Outside City||800||Seating and Standing||Low|
|Saint Augustine Amphitheatre||Outside City||4000||Seating and Standing||High|
|Prohibition Kitchen||Historic District of the city||150||Seating and Standing||Medium|
|Café Eleven||Beach Side||200||Seating and Standing||High|
|Colonial Quarter||Historic District of the city||500||Standing||High|
|A1A Ale Works||Bayfront||150||Indoor and Outdoor Seating||Medium|
|Tradewinds Tropical Lounge||Beach Side||75||Standing||Medium|
|Jackie Knight’s Comedy Club and Music Hall||Anastasia Island||100||Seating and Standing||High|
In conclusion, choosing the best live music venue in St. Augustine is a matter of personal preference, but the above mentioned live music venues have a lot to offer. Whether you are a local or a visitor, you are sure to find a venue that meets your musical taste and preferences. From the intimate setting of The Ponte Vedra Concert Hall to the stunning location of St. Augustine Amphitheatre, these live music venues have something for everyone.
Unforgettable Local Live Music Performances
Live music in St Augustine is an experience that music lovers cannot miss. With a vibrant and thriving music scene, the city offers a range of performances that cater to all types of audiences. From intimate acoustic sets to large-scale rock concerts, St Augustine has it all. In this article, we will explore some of the most memorable local live music performances that will leave you tapping your feet and humming along.
1. The Amp’s Summer Theatrics
The Ampitheatre at the St. Augustine Amphitheater is known for hosting some of the biggest names in the music industry. However, it is their recurring Summer Theatrics performances that truly stand out. These shows incorporate live music, dance, and theatrics into one mesmerizing experience. From the popular “Dark Star Orchestra” to the electric “Zoso – The Ultimate Led Zeppelin Experience,” these shows provide a unique and unforgettable combination of entertaining art forms.
- One of the most popular shows in the Summer Theatrics series is “Rumors – A Fleetwood Mac Tribute.” This performance features a group of talented musicians who capture the essence and spirit of Fleetwood Mac. The show includes synchronized dancing and a nostalgic atmosphere, taking the audience back in time to the 1970s.
- The Summer Theatrics shows are perfect for families, couples, and groups of friends. They are scheduled during the summer months, making them the perfect addition to a vacation or night out in the town.
- The Amphitheatre provides a spacious and comfortable setting with plenty of seating options, food vendors, and bars. It is also located in a beautiful park setting that provides a serene atmosphere.
Table 1: Pros and Cons of Summer Theatrics Shows
|Unique combination of live music, dancing, and theatrics.||Not open all year round.|
|Perfect for families, friends, and couples.||Not suitable for audiences who prefer traditional concerts with one genre of music.|
|Convenient location with abundant food and drink options.||May be expensive for some people.|
2. Café Alcazar’s Barefoot Nights
Café Alcazar, located in the historic Lightner Museum, is a charming café that offers a unique combination of live music and dancing. Its Barefoot Nights performances are a favorite among locals and visitors alike. These shows feature different musicians who perform in a variety of genres, including jazz, blues, and classical. The audience has the option of dancing on the museum’s historic marble floor or simply lounging with a glass of wine while enjoying the music.
- Café Alcazar’s Barefoot Nights is a perfect example of how music and history can combine to create a unique and special experience. The café is located in what used to be a swimming pool in the 1800s. Its architectural features create a beautiful and intimate setting that is perfect for live music.
- The diverse selection of music makes this performance series perfect for all types of music lovers. Jazz enthusiasts can enjoy shows featuring local jazz musicians, while classical music fans can enjoy concerts featuring the Jacksonville Symphony Orchestra ensemble.
- The café’s menu features a variety of delicious food and drink options, including charcuterie boards and local craft beers.
Table 2: Pros and Cons of Barefoot Nights
|Intimate and historic setting.||Limited seating capacity.|
|Diverse selection of musical genres.||Only available on select nights.|
|Delicious food and drink options.||May be noisy and crowded.|
3. Prohibition Kitchen’s Live Music
Prohibition Kitchen is a popular restaurant and live music venue located in the heart of St Augustine’s historic district. Its live music performances feature a range of genres, from blues and rock to country and alternative. The venue also supports emerging local talent, making it a great place to discover new artists.
- Prohibition Kitchen’s live music performances provide a lively and energetic atmosphere that is perfect for those who like to dance and have fun.
- The venue’s impressive audio-visual setup ensures that every show is an immersive experience for the audience.
- Prohibition Kitchen’s menu includes a range of delicious food and drinks, including handcrafted cocktails, local beers, and gourmet burgers.
Table 3: Pros and Cons of Prohibition Kitchen’s Live Music
|A lively atmosphere that is perfect for dancing and having fun.||Limited seating capacity.|
|A range of musical genres, from blues and rock to country and alternative.||Noise level may be too high for some patrons.|
|Opportunities for discovering new artists.||May be expensive for some patrons.|
In conclusion, St Augustine’s live music performances offer an experience that should not be missed. Whether it’s the Summer Theatrics shows at The Ampitheatre, Café Alcazar’s Barefoot Nights, or live music at Prohibition Kitchen, there is something for everyone. These performances are a testament to the city’s thriving music scene and the talented musicians who call it home. So, grab a friend, a drink, and enjoy some unforgettable local live music performances.
Top Outdoor Live Music Events in St Augustine
For music lovers, live music events are essential, and for St Augustine residents and visitors, the city has some of the country’s best outdoor live music events. If you are interested in experiencing excellent live music performance while enjoying beautiful surroundings, then St Augustine has got you covered. In this article, we will discuss the top outdoor live music events in St Augustine that will not disappoint.
The Sing Out Loud Festival
The Sing Out Loud Festival is an annual music festival in St Augustine and the largest free music festival in Florida, attracting thousands of visitors each year. This music festival started in 2016 and has grown to become a significant event among music lovers. The festival features over 300 performers and 130 shows over 18 days of live music, spread across various venues in St Augustine.
The Sing Out Loud Festival provides a platform for both locally and internationally acclaimed artists to perform. Musicians of different genres, including folk, blues, rock, and indie are featured in the festival. The festival takes place in a beautiful outdoor location, including the St. Augustine Pier and at the Colonial Oak Music Park. The park has a seating capacity of 3,000, with plenty of space for dancing and enjoying the music.
If you love live music and want to experience a free and diverse music festival, the Sing Out Loud Festival is the perfect destination.
Concerts in the Plaza
Concerts in the Plaza is a free outdoor concert series that runs from May through September each year. The concert series takes place every Thursday evening at 7 pm at the Plaza de la Constitución in downtown St Augustine. The Plaza is the city’s historical heart and a perfect spot for a concert.
The “Concerts in the Plaza” series features the best local and regional musical talent, including jazz, blues, country, and classical performers. The concerts provide an excellent opportunity to sit with family and friends on the beautifully landscaped lawn and enjoy the performances.
Concerts in the Plaza has been a long-running musical event in St Augustine since 1991, making it one of the oldest outdoor concert series in the state of Florida. The concert series is fun, and admission is free, making it a great way to get out and enjoy live music for people on a budget.
Music by the Sea at The St. Augustine Beach Pier Park
Music by the Sea is a free weekly music concert series that runs from May through September each year at the St Augustine Beach Pier Park. The Pier park near the ocean provides an exciting venue for the visitors.
The concert starts at 7 pm, and the show features an excellent lineup of local bands and musicians who play music spanning different genres, including Jazz, Blues, Rock, and Swing.
The concert series provides visitors and residents of St Augustine with an excellent opportunity to experience live music in a stunning outdoor setting. In addition to excellent music, visitors can also enjoy the cool sea breeze and watch the sunset during the performance.
- The Sing Out Loud Festival is the largest free music festival in Florida.
- Concerts in the Plaza is a free outdoor concert series that runs from May through September each year.
- Music by the Sea is a free weekly music concert series that runs from May through September each year at the St Augustine Beach Pier Park.
In conclusion, St Augustine offers many outdoor live music events that are perfect for music lovers looking for an excellent performance. Whether you prefer to listen to jazz, blues, country, or indie music, these outdoor events have something for everyone. Live music events provide not only entertainment opportunities but also give visitors a chance to enjoy the beauty of the city in a relaxed environment. So, mark your calendars and plan to attend one of these events next time you are in St Augustine.
Dive into the St Augustine Blues and Jazz Music Scene
St. Augustine, Florida is a small city located on the east coast of the United States. Despite its size, the city is bursting with music venues and concerts that draw in both locals and tourists alike. Among this diverse music scene, blues and jazz hold a special place. In this article, we will explore the unique features of St. Augustine’s Blues and Jazz music scene and understand what makes it so special.
Blues Music Scene in St. Augustine
Blues music has remained a staple of the music industry for over a century. Its roots are in African American tradition and culture, and it has since been adopted as a universal form of artistic expression. St. Augustine has a rich heritage of Blues music, which can be experienced at various venues that host live music performances.
Venues for Blues Music in St. Augustine
|Prohibition Kitchen||St. George Street||Cocktail bar with daily live music performances|
|Not Quite Dead Exhibition||King Street||Art gallery that doubles as a venue for live Blues music shows|
|The Corazon Cinema and Cafe||Spanish Street||Offers live Blues music performances and also serves a variety of food and beverages|
Blues Music Festivals in St. Augustine
St. Augustine hosts a variety of Blues music festivals throughout the year, which attract visitors from nearby cities and other parts of the state.
- St. Augustine Blues and BBQ Festival – This festival celebrates the best of Blues music and BBQ food. It is held in the fall and features performances by local and regional musicians.
- St. Augustine Jazz Society Jazz Festival – This annual event is held in the spring and features over a dozen Jazz bands from around the nation.
- St. Augustine Music Festival – This festival celebrates all genres of music, including Blues. It spans two weeks in the summer and features orchestral and chamber music performances, as well as rock and blues performances.
Why Blues Music Scene in St. Augustine is Unique
St. Augustine’s Blues music scene is unique in many ways. For one, the city’s deep roots in Blues music enable it to attract both young and old music enthusiasts. Additionally, the Blues music scene in the city truly exemplifies the city’s rich musical heritage. Patrons and performers are both genuinely passionate about the genre, which creates a special and authentic atmosphere in the city’s Blues music scene.
Jazz Music Scene in St. Augustine
Jazz music is a genre that originated in the late 19th and early 20th century. It emerged in African American communities in the United States and has since grown to become a global phenomenon. St. Augustine’s Jazz music scene is vibrant and varied, with a range of venues and festivals that celebrate the genre.
Venues for Jazz Music in St. Augustine
|Tradewinds Lounge||A1A Beach Blvd||Bar with live Jazz music performances on weekends|
|San Sebastian Winery Jazz Bar||King Street||Jazz music performances and a range of wine and food options|
|Cellar Upstairs||Charlotte Street||Cozy jazz bar with regular live performances.|
Jazz Music Festivals in St. Augustine
St. Augustine hosts a few major Jazz music festivals throughout the year, which attract Jazz lovers from all over.
- St. Augustine Jazz Society Festival – This annual festival spans three days and features performances from over a dozen Jazz bands from around the nation.
- St. Augustine Music Festival – This festival celebrates all genres of music, including Jazz. It spans two weeks in the summer and features orchestral and chamber music performances, as well as rock and jazz performances.
Why Jazz Music Scene in St. Augustine is Unique
St. Augustine’s Jazz music scene is unique because it allows lovers of the genre to experience it in a variety of settings – from intimate jazz bars to large outdoor festivals. Because Jazz is such a broad genre, ranging from early Jazz to modern Jazz styles, there is something for everyone. Visitors also have the opportunity to enjoy local Jazz acts as well as regional and national Jazz artists. The mix of indoor and outdoor jazz music events also makes St. Augustine’s Jazz music scene stand out.
St Augustine’s Hidden Gems for Live Music Lovers
As one of the oldest cities in the United States, St Augustine has a rich cultural history, dating back to its colonial days. It’s home to a diverse range of music styles, from rock, jazz, blues, and country to classical, reggae, and Latin. In this article, we’ll be exploring some of St Augustine’s hidden gems for live music lovers, from intimate venues to outdoor festivals.
Best Venues for Live Music in St Augustine
One of the many things that make St Augustine a great place to visit is its music scene. Whether you’re into jazz, blues or country music, there’s a venue that caters to your taste. Here are some of the best venues for live music in St. Augustine.
Conch House Marina Resort
Conch House Marina Resort is a waterfront venue that has been a go-to spot for live music lovers in St Augustine for over thirty years. It boasts fantastic views of the Matanzas River and has a relaxed and welcoming atmosphere. The venue features a wide range of music styles, including reggae, blues, and rock, and is a great spot to grab a bite, have a few drinks, and listen to some great live music.
The Colonial Quarter
The Colonial Quarter is a living history museum that recreates the life of the colonists who lived in St. Augustine in the 16th and 17th centuries. It’s also a great spot to enjoy some live music. The venue hosts concerts and events throughout the year, featuring a range of music genres, including jazz, blues, and folk. The outdoor venue is located in the heart of the city, and you can enjoy a unique music experience surrounded by colonial architecture.
Located in the Lightner Museum, Café Alcazar is an intimate venue that hosts live music every Friday and Saturday evening. The venue has a sophisticated, European-style ambiance with a domed ceiling, marble floors and an outdoor courtyard setting. It’s a fantastic spot to enjoy some local wine and cheese while listening to some great jazz, blues or Latin music.
Hidden Music Festivals in St Augustine
St Augustine has a vibrant music festival scene. From local musicians to world-famous performers, there’s always an event happening in the city. Here are some of the hidden music festivals to look out for in St Augustine.
The Sing Out Loud Music Festival
The Sing Out Loud Music Festival is a massive month-long event held annually in St Augustine. The festival brings together local and international musicians for a musical celebration that spans multiple venues throughout the city. It features a range of music genres, including blues, country, rock, reggae, and jazz. The festival is an unwavering celebration of St Augustine’s music and a testament to the city’s love for live music.
Rhythms of the World Music Festival
Rhythms of the World Music Festival is a multicultural event that celebrates music from different parts of the world. The festival usually takes place in November and features live music, food, and dance performances from various countries. The event is held at the Amphitheatre and is a great way to experience different cultures through music.
Pros and Cons of St Augustine’s Music Scene
While St Augustine’s music scene offers a plethora of options for live music lovers, there are some positives and negatives to be aware of.
- Diversity of music genres available
- Both indoor and outdoor venues
- Varied sizes of venues for larger and smaller crowds
- Intimate atmosphere
- Smaller city means fewer big name performers
- Higher demand for tickets due to smaller venues
- Limited transportation options to get to and from shows
|Diversity of music genres available||Smaller city means fewer big name performers|
|Both indoor and outdoor venues||Higher demand for tickets due to smaller venues|
|Varied sizes of venues for larger and smaller crowds||Limited transportation options to get to and from shows|
St. Augustine’s hidden gems for live music lovers offer a wide variety of options, from intimate venues to outdoor festivals. Whether you’re looking for jazz, blues or Latin music, there’s something for everyone in St Augustine. While the city’s music scene may be smaller, its intimate venues and cultural history make up for it. So why not visit St Augustine, enjoy some local wine and cheese, and immerse yourself in the city’s rich live music scene.
FAQs: Live Music in St Augustine
What venues in St Augustine offer live music?
There are several venues in St Augustine that offer live music, including The St Augustine Amphitheatre, Colonial Oak Music Park, Tradewinds Lounge, Prohibition Kitchen, and Planet Sarbez. These venues host a variety of music genres, ranging from jazz, blues, rock, and pop.
What types of music can I expect to hear in St Augustine?
Live music in St Augustine is diverse, and you can expect to hear various music genres. Some of the most common types of music that you can enjoy include jazz, blues, rock, country, pop, and reggae.
Is there live music every day in St Augustine?
Live music is not available every day in St Augustine. However, many venues offer live music on weekends, while others on specific days of the week. We advise checking the schedules of different venues online or calling them in advance to confirm their live music performances.
Is there an admission fee for live music events in St Augustine?
Admission fees for live music events vary depending on the venue and the artist performing. Some events may be free, while others may require that you purchase a ticket in advance or pay at the door. The prices may range from $5 to $50, depending on the event and the venue.
What is the best way to find out about upcoming live music events in St Augustine?
The best way to find out about upcoming live music events in St Augustine is by visiting the official websites of the venues that offer live music and checking their events calendar. You can also follow them on social media or sign up for their newsletters to get alerts about their upcoming events.
Is there a dress code for live music events in St Augustine?
There is no specific dress code for live music events in St Augustine. However, some venues may have a dress code, and it is advisable to check in advance to avoid any surprises. In general, casual or smart-casual attire is suitable for most live music events.
Can I bring my kids to live music events in St Augustine?
Some live music events in St Augustine are family-friendly, while others are not. However, most venues allow children accompanied by adults to attend concerts or performances. Nonetheless, it is better to check beforehand if it is a family-friendly event or not.
How early should I arrive for a live music event in St Augustine?
This depends on the popularity of the event and the venue’s capacity. In general, it is advisable to arrive at least 30 minutes to an hour before the event’s scheduled start time to secure a good spot and avoid the rush. Popular venues generally have first-come, first-served seating arrangements and do not offer reservations.
Are food and drinks available at live music events in St Augustine?
Most venues that offer live music in St Augustine have provisions for food and beverages. Some establishments serve light snacks or full meals; others serve alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages, including wine and craft beers. Prices and options may vary, depending on the venue and the event.
Do I need to tip the musicians or performers at live music events in St Augustine?
While tipping the musicians or the performers at live music events in St Augustine is not expected, it is a nice gesture if you enjoyed the performance. Most performers rely on tips to make a living, and some venues may have a “tip jar” for such contributions. So, if you are satisfied with the performance, feel free to show your appreciation through tipping.
In conclusion, St Augustine is a great destination for live music lovers. From the St Augustine Amphitheatre to Colonial Oak Music Park, Tradewinds Lounge, Prohibition Kitchen, and Planet Sarbez, there are numerous venues that offer music enthusiasts a chance to enjoy a variety of genres. The admission fees vary depending on the event and the venue, so it’s best to check ahead of time. It is advisable to arrive early to secure a good spot and check the dress code, especially when heading to more upscale venues. Drinks and food are available in most venues, but phone ahead to check. Tipping the performers is not compulsory, but it’s good etiquette if you enjoyed the show. We hope you find this article helpful and enjoy your next live music experience in St Augustine. Thank you for reading, and don’t forget to check out other exciting resources on our website.