Are you tired of going to the same old bars for a night out in Brooklyn? Do you crave the feeling of live music filling the room, creating an intimate atmosphere? You’re not alone. Finding a quality live music bar in Brooklyn can be a challenge, but fear not, we’ve got you covered. In this article, we’ll take a deep dive into some of the best live music bars in Brooklyn, so you can have the perfect night out.
By the end of this article, you’ll have a comprehensive list of the best live music bars in Brooklyn, each with its unique vibe and style. We’ll tell you where to go for indie bands, soulful jazz, or rock music that’ll get you up and moving. You’ll find yourself transported to a time where live music was king, and the energy of the crowd fueled the band on stage. And who knows, you might even discover your new favorite band.
So, if you’re ready to venture out and experience Brooklyn’s live music scene, grab a friend or two, and let us guide you. You’ll learn about the best live music spots, where to grab a great drink, and how to have the perfect night out with some of Brooklyn’s most talented musicians. Trust us; you won’t want to leave once the music starts playing.
The Top Live Music Bars in Brooklyn
Brooklyn is the birthplace of some of the most influential musicians in the world. It’s no surprise then that there’s a rich music culture in the borough, with a plethora of live music bars to choose from. In this article, we’ll be taking a look at the top live music bars in Brooklyn.
The Bell House
The Bell House is an old warehouse turned music venue in the Gowanus neighborhood of Brooklyn. The venue has a capacity of 700 guests and offers a wide range of music genres, from indie rock to electronic. The Bell House also hosts comedy shows, trivia nights, and film screenings. It’s a popular space for events, and has even been featured on several TV shows and movies, such as “Saturday Night Live” and “Broad City.”
- The Bell House has a capacity of 700 guests.
- The venue offers a range of music genres, from indie rock to electronic.
- The Bell House also hosts comedy shows, trivia nights, and film screenings.
- The venue has been featured on several TV shows and movies, such as “Saturday Night Live” and “Broad City.”
- There is a bar with a selection of beers, wines, and cocktails, as well as a food menu with snacks and light bites.
If you’re looking for a versatile space for live music events, The Bell House is a great option. The venue is also wheelchair accessible and offers hearing assistive devices, making it an inclusive space for all guests.
Brooklyn Bowl is a live music venue in Williamsburg, Brooklyn that also features a full-service restaurant, bar, and bowling alley. The venue has a capacity of 600 guests and offers a range of music genres, from hip-hop to rock. Brooklyn Bowl has a state-of-the-art sound system and has hosted some of the biggest names in the music industry, such as Adele and Guns N’ Roses.
- Brooklyn Bowl has a capacity of 600 guests.
- The venue offers a range of music genres, from hip-hop to rock.
- Brooklyn Bowl has a state-of-the-art sound system and has hosted some of the biggest names in the music industry, such as Adele and Guns N’ Roses.
- The venue also features a full-service restaurant, bar, and bowling alley.
- Brooklyn Bowl has a commitment to sustainability, using compostable products and locally-sourced ingredients in their restaurant.
Brooklyn Bowl is a unique space that offers more than just live music. Guests can enjoy a delicious meal, drinks, and even a game of bowling while listening to some of the best music acts.
Murmrr Theatre is a historic venue in the heart of Brooklyn that has been renovated to host live music events, comedy shows, lectures, and book readings. The venue has a capacity of 425 guests and has an intimate feel, with a focus on fostering community and creativity.
- Murmrr Theatre has a capacity of 425 guests.
- The venue hosts live music events, comedy shows, lectures, and book readings.
- Murmrr Theatre has an intimate feel, with a focus on fostering community and creativity.
- The venue has a commitment to sustainability, using LED lighting and offering reusable cups and plates.
- The building has a fascinating history, having been a hub for activism and community organizing in the past.
Murmrr Theatre is a unique space in Brooklyn that embraces history, community, and creativity. It’s a cozy space that’s perfect for those looking for an intimate live music experience.
|The Bell House||Brooklyn Bowl||Murmrr Theatre|
|Capacity||700 guests||600 guests||425 guests|
|Range of genres||Indie rock to electronic||Hip-hop to rock||Varies|
|Additional features||Comedy shows, trivia nights, and film screenings||Full-service restaurant, bar, and bowling alley||Live comedy, lectures, and book readings|
|Commitment to sustainability||No information available||Compostable products and locally-sourced ingredients in their restaurant||LED lighting and reusable cups and plates|
|Fascinating history||No information available||No information available||Hub for activism and community organizing in the past|
In conclusion, Brooklyn is a borough with a diverse music culture, offering live music events across various genres. The Bell House, Brooklyn Bowl, and Murmrr Theatre are three of the top live music bars in Brooklyn, each with their unique features and commitment to sustainability and community. Whether you’re a music buff or looking for a fun night out, these venues are sure to provide an enjoyable experience.
Exploring Brooklyn’s Best Bars for Live Music
Brooklyn, a significant borough of New York City, presents an abundance of entertainment for music enthusiasts. With an array of bars to choose from when it comes to live music, visitors and locals alike can enjoy everything from jazz and blues to rock and pop. Below are some of the best bars for live music as well as details on what these venues have to offer.
The Bell House
Located in the Gowanus neighborhood, The Bell House is a venue known for its diversity in music genres. With two rooms that host events from slam poetry to puppet shows, this is an artful and entertaining space. The Bell House has also played host to many musicians, and it is one of the best venues for live music in Brooklyn. Aside from the main room, it also has a bar and consignment store that sells records, CDs, and other artist wares. The Bell House also caters for private events.
The Brooklyn Bowl
This bar is found in Williamsburg and is popular for its bowling alley as well as its live music. It has become a favorite among music lovers as it makes use of extensive state-of-the-art audiovisual equipment. With a capacity for 600 people, it not only offers excellent music performances but also great food and drinks to keep customers returning. The infamous Questlove is also known to hold regular DJ events at Brooklyn Bowl.
Located in Williamsburg, Union Pool is a classic Brooklyn bar that caters to the music scene. Established in 2000, Union Pool provides visitors with a space for live music, drinking, and mingling. Bands and DJs in the indie, rock and country music space frequently play here. One notable aspect of Union Pool is its backyard, which is a great space for events like barbecues, live performances or catching up with friends over drinks.
The Sultan Room
The Sultan Room is situated in the heart of Bushwick and is a converted Turkish bathhouse that has a chic and modern atmosphere. It reflects Brooklyn’s creativity and unique personality with different aesthetics that change by the night, including a full bar, a lounge space, and a stage for live performances. It also has great food options inspired by Middle Eastern cuisine.
Jalopy Theatre and School of Music
Jalopy is known for its bluegrass, country, and folk music performances. Located in Red Hook, Brooklyn, Jalopy is a community music school and a bar that has supported local performers for over ten years. The bar is a comfortable, rustic space that often features up-and-coming musicians among various genres of music. Jalopy also has a school that focuses on instruments like banjo and guitar, which makes it an excellent place for Learn-and-Play enthusiasts.
The Way Station
The Way Station, located in Prospect Heights, is a bar for music lovers and sci-fi fans alike. This venue has been featured on several bloggers’ lists for its unique, sci-fi-inspired interior and its interactive jukebox. The performances range from jazz to rock, and there are free open-mic nights available for anyone to play or sing. The Way Station is a gathering spot where people come together to enjoy live music, good food, and great company.
|The Bell House||Gowanus||All||Two Rooms, Bar, Record Store|
|The Brooklyn Bowl||Williamsburg||All||Bowling Alley, State-of-the-Art Audiovisual Equipment|
|Union Pool||Williamsburg||Indie, Rock, Country||Backyard, Great Drink Selection|
|The Sultan Room||Bushwick||All||Chic Atmosphere, Middle Eastern-Inspired Cuisine|
|Jalopy Theatre and School of Music||Red Hook||Bluegrass, Country, Folk||Community Music School, Rustic Space|
|The Way Station||Prospect Heights||All||Sci-fi-Inspired Interior, Interactive Jukebox, Free Open-Mic Nights|
- The Bell House has two accessible rooms that cater to those who enjoy poetry slams, puppet shows or other artful performances.
- Brooklyn Bowl’s extensive equipment makes for top-notch sound quality, and it features great food and drinks too.
- Union Pool is a classic bar in Brooklyn that has a great backyard, perfect for mingling and hosting barbeques.
- Sultan Room’s chic atmosphere, Middle Eastern-inspired cuisine, and rotating bar setup make for an unforgettable experience.
- Jalopy Theatre and School of Music is a local favorite for bluegrass and country performances, as well as aspiring musicians.
- The Way Station offers a one-of-a-kind sci-fi-inspired interior in Prospect Heights, where anyone can sing or play music for free.
Picking a bar in Brooklyn for live music may be difficult with multiple options available. These six bars are some of Brooklyn’s best and cater to various interests and music genres. Whether you’re searching for a bar to party or to listen to new music, there is a bar on this list suitable for you. Each bar has its own uniqueness, which sets them apart from one another, providing customers with an unforgettable experience.
Discovering the Brooklyn Live Music Scene
Brooklyn has a vibrant live music scene that caters to all kinds of music lovers. It is home to some of the most iconic venues in the world, such as the Music Hall of Williamsburg, Brooklyn Steel, and Baby’s All Right. In this article, we will explore the live music bars Brooklyn has to offer.
1. The Best Live Music Bars in Brooklyn
Brooklyn is home to a diverse range of live music bars that cater to different genres and moods. Here are some of the best live music bars in Brooklyn:
- Saint Vitus – This Greenpoint metal bar has hosted the likes of Metallica and Slayer in the past.
- Jalopy Theatre and School of Music – This Red Hook spot is perfect for folksy and bluesy performances.
- Brooklyn Bowl – This bowling alley, restaurant, and music venue has a capacity of 1000 people and has hosted big names like Guns N’ Roses and Elvis Costello.
- The Bell House – This Gowanus bar has a retro vibe and a spacious dance floor. It has hosted comedians like Louis C.K. and acts like The Arcade Fire.
- Rough Trade – This Williamsburg venue is the perfect place for indie music gigs and album launches. It has a capacity of 250 people.
2. The Pros and Cons of Live Music Bars
Going to live music bars has its upsides and downsides. Here are some of the pros and cons:
|– You get to experience the thrill of live music.||– Live music bars can get crowded and noisy, making it hard to hear the music or converse with friends.|
|– You can discover new, up-and-coming artists.||– Entry fees, drink prices, and hidden charges can add up to make the night quite expensive.|
|– You get to socialize and interact with fellow music lovers.||– The energy and quality of live music bars can be inconsistent depending on the night or the artist performing.|
|– You can support your favorite bands or musicians.||– Live music bars often have minimum age limits that can exclude younger fans.|
3. Tips for a Great Live Music Experience
Here are some tips for enjoying a fantastic live music experience in Brooklyn:
- Choose the right venue – Research the bars and venues that cater to your preferred music genre, and choose the one that meets your mood and preferences.
- Arrive early – If you want to grab a good spot, it’s best to arrive early. This also gives you time to chat with other fans and grab drinks at the bar.
- Check the schedule – Make sure to keep tabs on the schedule and plan ahead to avoid missing out on your favorite artists.
- Respect the crowd – Live music bars can get crowded, so be mindful of others and respect their space. Avoid pushing or shoving, and refrain from getting too drunk and rowdy.
- Support the artist – Buy their merch, follow them on social media, and stream their music. This helps support their careers and ensures that they keep making great music.
In conclusion, the live music bar scene in Brooklyn is thriving and diverse, and it offers a unique experience to music lovers. Whether you’re into metal, folk, rock, or indie music, Brooklyn has something for everyone. By preparing yourself and choosing the right venue, you can enjoy a fantastic night of live music and become a part of Brooklyn’s thriving music culture.
Finding the Best Live Music Bars in Brooklyn
Brooklyn is known for its vibrant nightlife, and with an array of venues to choose from, it can be overwhelming to find the best live music bars in the area. In this section, we’ll guide you through the top tips to make sure you find the perfect venue for your live music experience.
Research is Crucial
One of the most important things to do before heading out to a live music bar in Brooklyn is conducting a thorough research. Research will give you insight into the type of music the venue offers and if it suits your preferences.
How to Research
- Check the venue’s website
- Browse their social media accounts
- Check reviews of past performances
- Ask for recommendations from friends, family and music lovers
Interesting Fact: Some of the most iconic live music bars in Brooklyn were once illegal speakeasies during the prohibition era, such as Brooklyn Bowl and Music Hall of Williamsburg.
Look Out for Hidden Gems
You don’t always have to go for the mainstream and popular venues for live music experiences; some of the best shows come from the hidden gems of Brooklyn’s live music bar scene. Here are the top tips to finding the best hidden gems.
Best Ways to Find Hidden Gems
- Scour social media
- Ask locals for recommendations
- Attend smaller local music festivals
- Visit bars that promote indie or underground events
Consider the Venue’s Ambience and Setting
The ambience and setting of the venue can make or break your live music experience; therefore, it’s important to consider that before you choose your venue. Some bars offer an intimate setting, while some offer a lively and energetic atmosphere.
Key Factors to Consider
|Intimate Setting||– Closer proximity to the performer
– Enhanced experience for solo or small group outings
|– Limited space
– Higher ticket prices
|Lively and Energetic||– Great for large groups or parties
– More socializing opportunities
|– Less focus on quality music performance
– Louder noise
Interesting Fact: The venue ambiance is also influenced by the crowd, with a crowd that’s attentive and respectful, enhancing the live music experience.
Check Out the Lineup
It’s crucial to know who’s playing at the venue beforehand, to make sure they match your music taste. You can typically find upcoming performances on the bar’s website, social media and event scheduling platforms.
What to Expect from a Good Lineup
- A range of genres for diverse listeners
- Talented and distinguished performers
- A balance of popular and emerging artists
- Consistently updated events schedule
Interesting Fact: Some of the most famous musicians started their careers performing at live music bars in Brooklyn, including Jimi Hendrix at the now-closed The Cheetah Club.
In conclusion, finding the best live music bars in Brooklyn takes time, effort, and some research, but the experience is always worth it in the end. By following the above tips, you will be able to have unforgettable live music experiences, discover new music talents and create cherished memories with friends and family in these iconic cultural institutions.
5. The Pros and Cons of Live Music Bars in Brooklyn
Live music bars have always been popular in Brooklyn. They offer excellent entertainment, making them a perfect spot to unwind after a long day. There are several advantages and disadvantages of live music bars in Brooklyn. This section will look at the pros and cons of live music bars.
The Pros of Live Music Bars
- Supports Local Artists
- Takes Stress Off Performers
- Good For Date Nights
Now let’s dive into each of these advantages in more detail.
- Entertainment: Live music is a fantastic form of entertainment that helps to relieve stress and boosts mood. People in Brooklyn can visit live music bars to watch their favorite bands perform. They can also discover new artists and genres that they may fall in love with. Music brings people together, and live shows create a sense of community, boosting the social experience.
- Socialization: Live music bars are an excellent place to meet new people or catch up with old friends. Socialization is essential for mental and emotional health, and live music bars provide an ideal opportunity to interact with others.
- Supports Local Artists: Many music bars in Brooklyn feature and support local artists. These venues give artists the chance to showcase their talent to a new audience, helping to grow their fan base, and ultimately their music career. Local artists also perform in bars with the hope of being spotted by talent managers or record labels.
- Takes Stress Off Performers: Live music bars provide an ideal platform for musicians to showcase their talent. This means that artists do not have to worry about the logistics of organizing a show. The bar will take care of the sound and lighting equipment as well as the ticket sales. Their main job is to perform, entertain and leave the rest to the venue.
- Good For Date Nights: Looking for a unique romantic experience for date night? Look no further than live music bars in Brooklyn. They offer the perfect setting for a night out, with great music and a cozy atmosphere.
The Cons of Live Music Bars
- Noisy Environment
- Quality of Performances
- Long Wait Times
- Social Distancing Constraints
Let’s break down each of these disadvantages in more detail.
- Noisy Environment: Live music bars can be noisy, which can be a bit overwhelming for some visitors. However, such an environment is what makes live music bars unique experiences. If visitors want to hear their talking companion clearly, they should go for a quieter environment.
- Costs: The cost of visiting live music bars can be prohibitive for some visitors. Some bars charge high prices for drinks and food, not to mention the additional cost of tickets for premium event nights.
- Quality of Performances: The quality of performances in live music bars can vary. Some visitors may not enjoy the type of music being played or may not find the performers entertaining.
- Long Wait Times: Long waiting times can be a real deal-breaker for visitors planning to visit live music bars. Waiting in long lines or waiting for a table can be frustrating for visitors, and this is common at many music bars in Brooklyn during prime business hours and peak days.
- Social Distancing Constraints: In the current global pandemic caused by COVID-19, live music bars have had to enforce social distancing measures to ensure the health and safety of visitors. These measures have affected how venues operate and can diminish the live music experience.
|Live entertainment, great for relaxing after work.||Can be noisy, thus creating social fatigue.|
|Great place to socialize with other people.||Costs can be prohibitive for some visitors, and long waiting times will disrupt the experience.|
|Supports local artists and can lead to better careers for artists.||Quality of performances can vary from band to band and night to night.|
|Eliminates the logistics behind organizing a show, enabling artists to concentrate more on performing.||Enforces social distancing measures that can dampen the live music experience.|
|Great for unique date night experiences.||Noisy environment may not be suitable for some visitors.|
In conclusion, live music bars are a great source of entertainment, especially in Brooklyn, which is well-known for its vibrant and thriving music scene. Live music bars have their advantages and disadvantages, and visitors need to weigh the pros and cons before deciding to visit them.
FAQs – Live Music Bars Brooklyn
What are some good live music bars in Brooklyn?
Brooklyn has numerous great live music bars such as Brooklyn Bowl, Rough Trade NYC, Music Hall of Williamsburg, Union Pool, Elsewhere, Baby’s All Right, The Bell House, The Knitting Factory, and The Footlight Bar.
Which Brooklyn bars have live music seven days a week?
Some Brooklyn bars have live music seven days a week such as Pete’s Candy Store, Union Hall, Freddy’s Bar, and Sunny’s Bar.
What kind of live music can I expect in Brooklyn bars?
Brooklyn bars offer various kinds of live music, including indie rock, blues, jazz, funk, hip-hop, reggae, soul, and more. You can find a wide range of music genres in different Brooklyn bars suitable to your preference.
Do I need to pay for admission to enter a live music bar in Brooklyn?
It depends on the bar and the artist performing. Some Brooklyn bars may offer free admission while some charge a cover fee, particularly for more well-known musicians. It is advisable to check the bar’s website or social media page beforehand to confirm if there is an admission fee.
What is the age limit for live music bars in Brooklyn?
The age limit varies for each bar, but most places serve alcohol, so the legal age limit is generally 21 years and above. However, some establishments may allow minors depending on the timing and type of event going on.
Are there any outdoor live music bars in Brooklyn?
Yes, there are a few outdoor live music bars in Brooklyn like Nowadays, Brooklyn Mirage, The Well, and The Rooftop at Elsewhere.
Can I bring my own food or drinks to a live music bar in Brooklyn?
It depends on the establishment, but bringing your food or drinks might not be allowed as most Brooklyn bars serve their refreshments. However, some bars permit bringing outside food while serving drinks.
What are some best-time slots to catch live music in Brooklyn bars?
Most Brooklyn bars hold live music on weekends or peak nights, so Friday and Saturday are the best times to see live music. Nonetheless, some bars offer live music on weekdays as well. It is better to check their website or social media page for specific dates and times.
Is it safe to visit live music bars in Brooklyn?
As with any place, exercising caution and being aware of your surroundings is always advisable. But generally, Brooklyn is a safe place to visit, and live music bars are no exception.
When do live music bars in Brooklyn typically close?
Brooklyn’s live music bars typically close between midnight and 4 am, depending on the establishment and the day of the week. Some bars remain open later during the weekends, while others may close early on weekdays.
Brooklyn has a thriving live music scene with several bars offering quality live music throughout the week. These bars cater to a diverse range of music genres and offer an extensive selection of drinks and snacks. Make sure to check the establishment’s website or social media page for specific information regarding admission fees, timing, age limit, and other policies. After enjoying some groovy tunes, you can explore Brooklyn’s other popular attractions like the Brooklyn Bridge, Brooklyn Botanic Garden, and Brooklyn Museum. Thank you for reading, and be sure to check out other interesting articles to learn more about Brooklyn.