Picture this; you’re in the charming town of Ashland, Oregon, a place known for its historic buildings, rugged landscapes, and outdoor adventures. It’s summertime, and the warm breeze is blowing across your face. You’re walking down Main Street, and suddenly, you hear the sound of live music coming from a nearby venue. Your feet start tapping, your heart begins to race, and you’re overcome with joy. Live music has a way of connecting people, and in Ashland, it’s no different.
If you’re a music lover, you know how important live music can be. It’s a chance to hear your favorite songs in a way you never have before, to connect with other music enthusiasts, and to experience something unforgettable. In this article, we’re going to explore the live music scene in Ashland, Oregon. We’ll tell you everything you need to know about the venues, the performers, and the experience you can expect. So, whether you’re a local looking for the next great show or a visitor hoping to experience the magic of Ashland, this article is for you.
From top-notch musicians to intimate venues, Ashland has a live music scene that rivals the best cities in the country. In this article, we’ll show you how to find the hottest tickets in town, where to go for a great night out, and how to get the most out of your live music experience. We’ll also share stories from locals, tips from experts, and insider information that you won’t find anywhere else. So, get ready to discover the best that Ashland has to offer and immerse yourself in the vibrant music scene that makes this town so special.
The Best Venues for Live Music in Ashland Oregon
When it comes to live music, Ashland Oregon has a thriving scene that attracts music lovers from all over the country. Whether you’re looking for an intimate setting to enjoy some local talent or a bigger concert venue to catch a touring act, Ashland has it all. In this article, we will take a look at the best venues for live music in Ashland Oregon.
The Ashland Armory is one of the city’s most beloved music venues. Originally built in 1915, the Armory has been a hub for local events and performances for over a century. In recent years, it has become a popular destination for nationally recognized acts as well.
If you’re planning to visit the Ashland Armory for a live music event, here are some things you should know:
- The venue can hold up to 1,200 guests and has ample room for dancing and mingling.
- There is a full bar on site, serving a variety of local craft beers and specialty cocktails.
- The acoustics are top-notch, making for a truly immersive music experience.
- The venue is wheelchair accessible and has designated seating areas for those with disabilities.
While the Ashland Armory is a popular venue for live music, it is also a staple of the Ashland community in general. The building is often used for other events, including theater performances, dances, and festivals. For example, the Oregon Cheese Festival has been held at the Ashland Armory for over a decade, bringing in cheese lovers from all over the country.
|Large capacity for guests||Ticket prices can be expensive for big-name acts|
|Full bar on site with local craft beer options||Sound can sometimes be too loud, depending on the act|
|Well-respected acoustics||Located outside the downtown area, can be difficult to get to without a car|
|Wheelchair accessible and designated seating areas for those with disabilities||Some parking restrictions in the area during events|
Overall, the Ashland Armory is a must-visit venue for live music fans in the area. With its rich history, unique charm, and exceptional acoustics, it is no wonder that it has become a fixture of the Ashland community.
The Top Local Bands You Can See Live in Ashland Oregon
Finding great live music in Ashland, Oregon is never a problem. The city boasts a thriving music scene with several venues showcasing both local and national acts. From jazz to rock to indie, there is a wide range of genres to choose from. In this article, we have compiled a list of the top local bands you can see live in Ashland, Oregon.
1. The Brothers Reed
If you’re a fan of indie folk rock, you might have heard of The Brothers Reed. The band comprises Brothers Aaron and Phil Reed, and they have been making music together since they were kids. They gained recognition in 2017 when they won the 97.5FM Next Big Thing award with their song “Hey Mary.” Since then, they have played at several notable venues, including the Britt Festival, the Wild Buffalo, and the Hawthorne Theater.
- The Brothers Reed has released three albums – “Sick as Folk,” “Three” and “Peaceful Boogie.”
- The duo’s sound has been compared to the likes of The Avett Brothers and Mumford and Sons.
- They frequently tour around the U.S., but are based in Ashland, Oregon.
If you’re looking for a high-energy live show with great harmonies, catchy lyrics, and a touch of humor, The Brothers Reed will not disappoint.
2. The Rogue Suspects
The Rogue Suspects are a well-known band in the Ashland music scene, having been around for over 20 years. They have been described as a hybrid of jazz, rock, R&B, and funk, and their live shows are known for their energy and improvisation. The band comprises singer Shae Celine, guitarist Dirk Price, bassist Greg Frederick, and drummer David Bolen.
- The Rogue Suspects have released six albums, including their latest offering, “Live Affair.”
- The band has opened for notable acts such as The Doobie Brothers, The Temptations, and The Four Tops.
- They have won several local awards, including the 2016 “Best Local Band” award from the Ashland Daily Tidings.
If you’re in the mood for some funky, danceable tunes, The Rogue Suspects are a must-see. Their live shows are a testament to their musicianship, and their ability to get the crowd moving makes it an unforgettable experience.
3. The Brothers Comatose
While not based in Ashland, The Brothers Comatose are a band that frequents the area and are very popular with locals. The band comprises brothers Ben and Alex Morrison, guitarist Philip Brezina, bassist Gio Benedetti, and mandolin player Ryan Avellone. They have been described as a mix of Americana, bluegrass, and rock, and their live shows are known for their energy and audience interaction.
|The Brothers Comatose||The Brothers Reed||The Rogue Suspects|
|Genre||Americana, bluegrass, and rock||Indie folk rock||Jazz, rock, R&B, and funk|
|Number of albums released||4||3||6|
|Notable awards||2014 “Best Bluegrass Band” from the SF Weekly||2017 “Next Big Thing” award from 97.5FM||2016 “Best Local Band” from the Ashland Daily Tidings|
- The Brothers Comatose has released four albums, including “Songs from the Stoop” and “City Painted Gold.”
- They have played at several notable festivals, including Outside Lands, High Sierra Music Festival, and Hardly Strictly Bluegrass.
- The band has been compared to the likes of The Lumineers and The Avett Brothers.
The Brothers Comatose’s live shows are known for their sing-alongs, storytelling, and high-energy performances. If you’re looking for a band that will get you dancing and leave you with a smile on your face, The Brothers Comatose should definitely be on your list.
In conclusion, Ashland, Oregon is home to several talented acts that are worth checking out. Whether you’re in the mood for indie, jazz, funk, or bluegrass, there is something for everyone. So go out and support your local musicians – you might just discover your new favorite band.
How to Experience Live Music in Ashland Oregon on a Budget
Ashland, Oregon is a vibrant city that is known for its thriving arts scene. From Shakespearean plays to beautiful art galleries, Ashland has something to offer everyone. One of the city’s best-kept secrets is its live music scene. Whether you’re looking for indie rock or bluegrass, Ashland has live music for every taste. Here’s how to experience live music in Ashland, Oregon on a budget.
Budget-Friendly Live Music Venues in Ashland, Oregon
Ashland has several venues that offer live music at affordable prices. Here are some of the best budget-friendly live music venues in Ashland:
- The Wild Goose Cafe & Bar: The Wild Goose is a cozy space that offers live music performances almost every night. The venue has a great selection of drinks, and the cover charge is usually $5 or less.
- Oberon’s Tavern: Oberon’s Tavern is a cozy bar that’s known for hosting local musicians. The venue has a great selection of beer, and there’s no cover charge for their live music performances.
- Club 66: Club 66 is one of Ashland’s best-known music venues. The club hosts live music performances almost every night, and the cover charge is usually around $10 or less.
Free Live Music Events in Ashland, Oregon
If you’re looking for free live music in Ashland, there are plenty of options. Here are some of the best free live music events in Ashland:
- First Friday Art Walks: Ashland’s First Friday Art Walks are a great way to explore the city and listen to live music. Many of the galleries and shops in downtown Ashland offer free live music performances during the art walk.
- Summer Concerts in Lithia Park: Every summer, Ashland’s Lithia Park hosts a series of free outdoor concerts. The concerts usually feature local musicians and are a great way to enjoy the beautiful summer weather.
- Outdoor Summer Movies: During the summer, Ashland’s Parks and Recreation Department hosts free outdoor movies in Lithia Park. Many of the events feature live music before the movies start.
How to Save Money on Live Music Tickets in Ashland, Oregon
If you’re willing to spend a little money, there are ways to save on live music tickets in Ashland. Here are some tips:
- Buy Tickets in Advance: Many venues offer a discount on tickets if you buy them in advance. Check the venues’ websites or call ahead to see if they offer any discounts.
- Volunteer at Music Festivals: Ashland has several music festivals throughout the year, and many of them offer free tickets to volunteers. Check out the websites for the festivals and see if they’re accepting volunteers.
- Attend Music Open Mics: Many local bars and cafes host open mic nights for local musicians. These events are usually free to attend, and they’re a great way to discover new talent.
|– Budget-friendly live music venues||– Limited selection of music genres|
|– Plenty of free live music events||– Limited number of free events|
|– Ways to save money on live music tickets||– Limited availability of discounts and free tickets|
Overall, Ashland, Oregon is a great place to experience live music on a budget. With plenty of free events and affordable venues, you can enjoy live music without breaking the bank. Whether you’re a fan of blues, jazz, or rock, Ashland has live music for every taste. So get out there and enjoy the sounds of Ashland.
Exploring the History of Live Music in Ashland Oregon
Ashland, Oregon is a small city known for its artistic flair and cultural diversity. Among its many cultural offerings, Ashland has a rich and diverse musical history that spans decades. The city’s love for live music is evident in the numerous venues and festivals that showcase local and national artists.
Early Days of Live Music in Ashland
Ashland’s love for live music can be traced back to the late 19th century when music was an essential part of social gatherings and events. From then on, live music became a part of the city’s cultural fabric, and many concerts and events were organized to entertain locals and visitors. In the early 20th century, Ashland established itself as a hotspot for live music, with several venues popping up around town.
One of the most popular live music venues in the early days of Ashland was the Lithia Park Bandshell. Built in 1929, the bandshell hosted numerous concerts throughout the year, providing a platform for both local and visiting musicians to showcase their talents.
The Rise of Festivals and Concerts
In the 1960s and 1970s, Ashland witnessed the rise of music festivals and concerts. These events brought together thousands of people from all over the region, creating a sense of community and camaraderie. One of the most popular festivals during this period was the Oregon Shakespeare Festival, which included live music performances as part of its annual program.
Later, the Britt Festival became an iconic part of Ashland’s live music scene. Established in 1963, this outdoor music festival brings together some of the biggest names in music from different genres. From classical to pop, rock, jazz, and country, the Britt Festival has something for everyone.
Other festivals that have contributed to Ashland’s rich musical history include the Ashland World Music Festival, the Oregon Festival of American Music, and the Ashland Blues Festival.
Ashland’s Live Music Venues
Ashland has some of the most charming and unique live music venues that cater to different tastes, making the city’s music scene vibrant and diverse. Here are some of the notable venues in Ashland:
- The Oregon Cabaret Theater – This intimate theater hosts live music performances and is famous for its Broadway-style shows.
- Ashland Armory – A historic venue that can accommodate around 2000 people, this venue has been a favorite for many touring acts.
- The Wild Goose Cafe and Bar – A cozy and intimate venue, this bar hosts live music every night and has become a favorite among locals and visitors alike.
- Brickroom – Located in Downtown Ashland, the Brickroom is a popular spot for live music and DJ events. It has a capacity of around 400 people and features a state-of-the-art sound system.
Challenges Facing Ashland’s Live Music Scene
While Ashland’s live music scene continues to thrive, it has faced several challenges over the years. These challenges include:
- Noise Ordinance – Ashland is a small town, and as such, there are regulations in place to limit noise levels. The noise ordinance has affected some venues, particularly those that operate late at night or early in the morning.
- Rising Costs – With the increasing costs of rent and maintenance, many live music venues have been forced to close down. This has led to a reduction in the number of live music venues in Ashland.
- Competition – Ashland is not the only town with a thriving music scene. Other neighboring towns have also been promoting live music events, creating competition for Ashland’s live music scene.
|Pros of Ashland’s Live Music Scene||Cons of Ashland’s Live Music Scene|
|🎸 Diverse and vibrant music scene||🎼 Noise ordinance affecting some venues|
|🎶 Iconic music festivals||🎤 Increasing costs of rent and maintenance|
|🎵 Unique and charming music venues||🎵 Competition from neighboring towns|
In conclusion, Ashland’s love for live music has a rich and vibrant history that continues to this day. With its diverse music scene, iconic festivals, and unique and charming music venues, it’s no wonder that Ashland has become a destination for music lovers from all over the region. While it faces its fair share of challenges, Ashland’s live music scene remains an essential part of the city’s cultural identity.
Step 5: Finding Accommodation for Your Live Music Weekend
After finalizing the dates and booking the tickets, the next important step in planning your live music weekend in Ashland Oregon is finding a suitable accommodation. Fortunately, Ashland has a variety of options that cater to every budget and preference.
Determine Your Budget and Preferences
- Before you start looking for accommodation, determine your budget for the weekend. This will help you filter your search and find the best options that match your preferences within your budget.
- Consider your preferences such as location, amenities, type of accommodation, and number of guests when searching for accommodation.
Options for Accommodation
Ashland provides plenty of options to book your stay for the weekend.
- Hotels: Ashland has several hotels that offer comfortable accommodation with various amenities such as swimming pools, spa, and fitness centers. Some of the popular hotels in Ashland include Ashland Springs Hotel, Winchester Inn, and Best Western Windsor Inn.
- Bed & Breakfasts: There are numerous bed and breakfasts in Ashland that provide cozy and personalized accommodation options. Some of the popular bed and breakfasts include McCall House Bed and Breakfast, Stratford Inn, and Blue Moon Bed & Breakfast.
- Vacation Rentals: Vacation rentals offer you the freedom to have your own space and privacy while enjoying a weekend in Ashland. You can rent a house, apartment or condo that suits your preferences and budget. Some of the popular vacation rental services are Airbnb, HomeAway, and VRBO.
- Camping and RV Parks: If you’re looking for something more outdoorsy or budget-friendly, Ashland has several camping and RV parks located on the outskirts of the city or near lakes and rivers. Some of the camping and RV options include Emigrant Lake, Howard Prairie Resort, and Valley of the Rogue State Park.
Pros and Cons of Each Accommodation Option
|Bed & Breakfasts||
|Camping and RV Parks||
Where to Book Your Accommodation
After choosing your preferred accommodation option, it’s important to book your stay well in advance to ensure availability and avoid last-minute price hikes. Here are some options for booking:
- Direct Booking: You can book your preferred accommodation directly through their website or phone number.
- Online Travel Agencies: Online travel agencies such as Expedia, Booking.com and Hotels.com offer good deals and packages on accommodation options in Ashland.
- Ashland Visitor’s Center: The Ashland Visitor’s Center offers booking assistance for accommodation options in Ashland and can provide recommendations and discounts as well.
With all these options and information, you’re now equipped to plan a perfect live music weekend in Ashland Oregon!
FAQs: Live Music Ashland Oregon
What are the top live music venues in Ashland Oregon?
Some of the top live music venues in Ashland Oregon are the Oregon Shakespeare Festival’s Green Show, Brickroom, and Ashland Armory.
What type of live music can I find in Ashland Oregon?
You can find a range of live music in Ashland Oregon including jazz, blues, folk, rock, and classical.
What is the best time of year to enjoy live music in Ashland Oregon?
The best time to enjoy live music in Ashland Oregon is during the summer when there is an abundance of outdoor festivals and concerts.
Are there any free live music opportunities in Ashland Oregon?
Yes, the Green Show at the Oregon Shakespeare Festival offers free live music and entertainment. There are also occasional free concerts at Lithia Park and other public spaces in Ashland.
What are some recommended Ashland Oregon live music events?
Some recommended live music events in Ashland Oregon are the Oregon Fringe Festival, Oregon Shakespeare Festival, and the Rogue Valley Symphony.
Is there a local music scene in Ashland Oregon?
Yes, Ashland Oregon has a thriving local music scene with many talented musicians and bands playing in various venues around the town.
Can I find international music in Ashland Oregon?
Yes, Ashland Oregon has a diverse music scene and you can often find international music including Latin, Celtic, and African music.
How can I find out about live music events in Ashland Oregon?
You can find out about live music events in Ashland Oregon by checking local event listings, social media pages, and venue websites. You can also ask locals for recommendations.
Where can I buy tickets for live music events in Ashland Oregon?
You can buy tickets for live music events in Ashland Oregon online through websites such as Ticketmaster or at the venue’s box office.
What should I wear to a live music event in Ashland Oregon?
The dress code for a live music event in Ashland Oregon will vary depending on the venue and the type of music, but generally casual or dressy casual attire is appropriate.
Ashland Oregon provides a rich and diverse music scene, offering everything from classical music to rock, international to local acts, and much more. The city has a plethora of live music venues, making it easy to listen to all sorts of music. For visitors to Ashland, it is an important part of the experience — enjoying the live music options of the city. We recommend checking out local event listings and venue websites to find the latest and most popular shows. You can also ask locals for their recommendations. Thanks for reading, and we encourage you to explore our next article featuring more exciting content.