Greetings fellow music lovers! Are you tired of scrolling through the same old playlist, searching for new and exciting tunes to lift your spirits? Are you itching to experience live music again after over a year of pandemic-induced isolation? Look no further than the vibrant music scene in Bend, Oregon! In this article, we will explore the diverse range of live music options available in this cozy town, from intimate coffee shops to outdoor amphitheaters. Whether you’re a seasoned concert-goer or a curious beginner, you’re sure to find something to suit your musical taste in Bend.
By the end of this article, you can expect to have a comprehensive understanding of Bend’s live music scene. We will introduce you to some of the most popular venues and artists in the area, and give you insider tips on how to get the most out of your concert experience. You’ll discover a treasure trove of local talent and national acts that frequently pass through this picturesque town. So sit back, relax, and let us guide you through the sights and sounds of Bend’s epic live music scene.
But why just take our word for it? The thriving music culture in Bend has been recognized by national publications such as Rolling Stone and Billboard, which have both featured the town’s live music offerings. With outdoor festivals like the Les Schwab Amphitheater and WinterFest, as well as intimate performances at The Old St. Francis School, Bend has something to offer for anyone looking to discover new tunes or rediscover old favorites. So come along with us on a musical journey through Bend, and get ready to experience the beauty of live music once again!
Top 5 Venues for Live Music in Bend, Oregon
Bend, Oregon is a small city in the Pacific Northwest that has a thriving live music scene. With a population of just over 100,000, Bend has a surprising number of music venues that cater to a diverse range of genres. Whether you’re looking for intimate acoustic shows, big-name bands, or local talent, Bend has something for everyone. In this article, we’ll highlight the top 5 venues for live music in Bend, Oregon.
1. Midtown Ballroom
Located in the heart of Bend’s historic district, the Midtown Ballroom is one of the city’s premier live music venues. With a capacity of over 500 people, the ballroom attracts both local and national acts. The building itself has a long history, starting out as a dance hall in the 1920s and then serving as a roller skating rink in the 1950s. In the 1980s and 90s, it was a punk and heavy metal club before being renovated and reopened as a multi-use event space in 2011.
Pros and Cons of Midtown Ballroom
|Large capacity||No seating|
|Multiple bars||Can get crowded|
|Historic building||Sound quality can vary|
What to Expect
When you attend a show at the Midtown Ballroom, you can expect a high-energy atmosphere with a lot of standing room. The venue has multiple bars, so you don’t have to wait in long lines for a drink. However, there is no seating, so be prepared to stand for the entire show. The sound quality can be hit or miss, depending on the band and the night, but the acoustics are generally good. Keep in mind that the Midtown Ballroom can get crowded, especially on weekends, so arrive early if you want to get close to the stage.
- Pink Talking Fish – March 2020
- Slightly Stoopid – August 2019
- Modest Mouse – May 2019
- Infamous Stringdusters – January 2019
- Rebelution – June 2018
What the Locals Say
Locals rave about the Midtown Ballroom and its ability to attract big-name acts to a small city like Bend. They appreciate the historic building, which adds to the overall ambiance of the venue. However, some locals do complain about the lack of seating, especially for older concert-goers.
Tips for Visitors
- Arrive early to get a good spot near the stage
- Be prepared to stand for the entire show
- Check the venue’s website for upcoming shows and ticket information
- Bring cash for drinks (credit cards are sometimes not accepted)
- Plan for parking ahead of time
If you’re looking for a lively concert experience in Bend, Oregon, the Midtown Ballroom is the place to be. With its large capacity, multiple bars, and historic atmosphere, the ballroom is the perfect venue for big-name acts and local talent alike. Just be prepared to stand and arrive early if you want to get close to the stage.
The Best Local Bands to Catch in Bend
Bend is a stunning city located in the heart of Oregon, and there is no shortage of talented local bands that are worth catching live in this area. Whether you prefer country, rock, indie, or blues music, you will find something that suits your taste in Bend. Here are the best local bands that you should check out when in town.
1. Precious Byrd
Precious Byrd is a popular local band that combines elements of rock, pop, and funk to create a unique sound that attracts crowds of all ages. This band has been performing in Bend and beyond for over a decade and has gained a loyal following of music lovers who appreciate their upbeat and engaging show.
- The band was formed in 2008 by three brothers, Corey, Casey, and Michael McCloskey, along with their close friend, Scott Foreman.
- Their debut album, “Funky Patty,” was released in 2016 and received critical acclaim from music critics across the country.
- Precious Byrd has shared the stage with major acts such as The Steve Miller Band, Michael Franti, and The Rolling Stones.
- Their energetic live shows feature a mix of original music and classic covers that keep the audience dancing all night long.
If you’re looking for a high-energy show that will leave you feeling uplifted and inspired, Precious Byrd is the perfect local band to catch in Bend.
2. JuJu Eyeball
If you’re a Beatles fan, you won’t want to miss JuJu Eyeball’s live performance in Bend. This local band has been playing Beatles covers since 2009 and has gained a reputation for their authentic sound and engaging stage presence.
- JuJu Eyeball was formed by three lifelong Beatles fans, Johnny B, Jamey, and Jimmy, who wanted to pay homage to their favorite band in a fun and creative way.
- The band’s name is inspired by John Lennon, who once said that The Beatles were more popular than Jesus because they had “more influence than Jesus and JuJu Eyeballs.”
- JuJu Eyeball’s live shows feature a mix of classic Beatles hits, deep cuts, and rare gems, performed with precision and passion.
- The band’s attention to detail extends to their costumes, instruments, and stage design, which transports the audience back in time to the swinging sixties.
Whether you’re a die-hard Beatles fan or just enjoy good music and a fun atmosphere, JuJu Eyeball is a must-see local band in Bend.
3. MOsley WOtta
MOsley WOtta is a unique musical project that blends spoken word poetry with electronic music and hip hop beats. This local band is the brainchild of Jason Graham, a multi-disciplinary artist who has been performing in Bend and beyond for over a decade.
- MOsley WOtta’s music is inspired by Graham’s personal experiences growing up as a biracial person in a predominantly white community.
- The band’s name is a play on words that reflects Graham’s desire to break down barriers and encourage unity through his art.
- MOsley WOtta’s live shows are a multimedia experience that combines spoken word poetry, electronic music, and live visuals to create a immersive and thought-provoking atmosphere.
- The band has collaborated with other local artists and performers to create unique and engaging shows that challenge traditional notions of what music and art can be.
If you’re looking for a local band that pushes the boundaries of what’s possible in music and art, MOsley WOtta is a must-see in Bend.
4. Off The Record
Off The Record is a local band that specializes in high-energy classic rock covers that are guaranteed to get the audience dancing and singing along. This band has been performing in Bend and beyond for over a decade and has gained a reputation for their entertaining and engaging live shows.
- Off The Record’s repertoire includes classic rock hits from the 60s, 70s, and 80s, performed with skill and passion.
- The band’s tight musical arrangements and dynamic stage presence create a fun and energetic atmosphere that keeps the audience engaged from start to finish.
- Off The Record has opened for major acts such as Foreigner, Blue Oyster Cult, and Jefferson Starship.
- The band’s members are all experienced musicians who have played in various bands and projects throughout their careers, bringing a wealth of musical knowledge and skill to their performances.
If you’re looking for a local band that knows how to rock, Off The Record is the perfect choice for you.
|Precious Byrd||JuJu Eyeball||MOsley WOtta||Off The Record|
|Genre||Rock, pop, funk||Beatles covers||Spoken word poetry, electronic music, hip hop beats||Classic rock covers|
|Major influences||The Rolling Stones, Michael Franti||The Beatles||Jason Graham’s personal experiences||Classic rock bands from the 60s, 70s, and 80s|
|Notable performances||Opened for The Rolling Stones||Performed at Abbey Road on the River festival in Kentucky||Performed at Bend’s Tower Theatre||Opened for Foreigner, Blue Oyster Cult, and Jefferson Starship|
In conclusion, Bend is home to many talented local bands that are worth catching live. Whether you prefer rock, pop, funk, spoken word poetry, or classic covers, there is something for everyone in this vibrant music scene. So, be sure to check out Precious Byrd, JuJu Eyeball, MOsley WOtta, and Off The Record for an unforgettable night of music in Bend.
Exploring Bend’s Country Music Scene: Where to Go and Who to See
One of the things that make Bend, Oregon a legendary destination is its country music scene. With live music venues that cater to every taste, it’s no surprise that the city has become a go-to spot for music lovers of all ages. In this section, we will explore some of the best places to see country music in Bend, and some of the top musicians to check out.
Top Country Music Venues in Bend
If you’re looking for a dose of authentic country music, then you’re in luck. Bend has a vibrant music scene, with several venues, both large and small, that feature local and national acts. Here are some of the top country music venues in Bend:
- The Volcanic Theatre Pub – This small, intimate venue is a great place to catch up-and-coming country musicians. The Volcanic Theatre Pub has hosted a variety of country acts over the years, including Austin Jenckes, Brent Cobb, and Cody Jinks.
- The Domino Room – Located in downtown Bend, The Domino Room is a great place to catch a live country show. The venue has a spacious dance floor, perfect for line dancing, and features a variety of country acts throughout the year.
- The Belfry – This historic venue has been a fixture in Bend’s music scene since the 1920s. The Belfry has hosted a variety of country acts over the years, including Robert Earl Keen, Shooter Jennings, and Hayes Carll.
Top Country Music Artists in Bend
Bend’s country music scene wouldn’t be complete without the talented musicians who call the city home. Here are some of the top country music artists in Bend to check out:
- Crow and the Canyon – This local band has been making waves in Bend’s music scene for years. Crow and the Canyon blends classic country with modern rock, creating a distinctive sound that has won them a loyal following.
- Jason Tyler Burton – This singer-songwriter has been called “the hardest working musician in Bend.” His soulful country music is infused with introspection and heart, making him a must-see act.
- Jeff Crosby – This Idaho-born musician has made a name for himself in Bend’s music scene. Jeff Crosby’s music blends traditional country with rock and folk influences, creating a sound that is both classic and modern.
Pros and Cons of Bend’s Country Music Scene
Bend’s country music scene is undoubtedly vibrant and exciting, but like any scene, it has its pros and cons. Here are some of the advantages and disadvantages of the country music scene in Bend:
Overall, Bend’s country music scene is an exciting and vibrant community that draws both local and national talent. With several venues to choose from, there’s no shortage of live country music to enjoy. Whether you’re a fan of classic country or modern rock-infused sounds, you’re sure to find something to enjoy in Bend’s country music scene.
From Jazz to Indie Rock: Bend’s Diverse Music Culture
As discussed in the previous sections, Bend, Oregon, is not just a scenic city but also has a thriving music scene. There is a broad range of live music events that Bend offers to its residents and tourists alike. Bend’s diverse music culture caters to all age groups, ethnicities and musical tastes. In this section, we will take a closer look at the various music genres that are popular in Bend.
4. Indie Music Scene in Bend
Ten years ago, indie music hardly ever made it to Bend’s live music venues. However, in recent years there has been a significant change in the music culture of Bend. With growing interest from the younger generation, indie music has found a new place in Bend’s live music scene. Indie music is not only popular among teenagers and young adults, but it also caters to the music taste of middle-aged people.
4.1 History of Indie Music in Bend
Indie music emerged in the 1980s as an alternative to the mainstream pop music of the time. Indie music represents a range of music genres, including rock, folk, punk, and emo. It encourages self-expression and disregards the commercialised, record industry based music. The origins of indie music in Bend date back to the early 2000s when local bands such as Adventures in Daydreaming and Dirty handful started performing. Bend’s independent live music scene gained traction in the mid-2000s, with the opening of The Domino Room in downtown Bend. The Domino Room provides a dedicated space for indie bands to perform and has become a staple venue for local indie bands.
4.2 Popular Indie Venues in Bend
Bend offers several venues that are dedicated to Indie music, including:
- The Domino Room: One of the oldest Indie music venues in Bend, the Domino Room offers live music for all music genres, including Indie Rock, Jazz and Electronica.
- Volcanic Theatre: A popular venue located in the heart of downtown Bend, the Volcanic Theatre offers a great experience in a small setting. This venue also hosts the Bend Roots Revival, which is a three-day festival dedicated to showcasing local indie artists.
- Old Stone Church: The Old Stone Church is a landmark venue and offers excellent acoustics. This venue is known for hosting many indie singer-songwriters and has a capacity of up to 300 people.
- McMenamin’s Old St. Francis School: McMenamin’s is a chain of restaurants and hotels that have a particular interest in preserving historical sites. The Old St. Francis School is one such site and offers an intimate Indie music setting.
4.3 Popular Indie Bands in Bend
Bend has a thriving Indie music scene, and there are several local bands worth mentioning. These include:
- Redwood Son: An Indie folk-rock band, Redwood Son’s music is inspired by frontman Josh Gallagher’s nomadic lifestyle.
- Eleven Eyes: Eleven Eyes is a new indie band in Bend that offers a blend of indie rock, alternative rock, and punk.
- Empty Space Orchestra: A seven-member band known for their unique blend of progressive rock and Indie style.
4.4 Pros and Cons of Indie Music in Bend
While the Indie music scene in Bend is growing rapidly, it has its advantages and disadvantages.
|Encourages creativity and self-expression||Less commercialised thus fewer resources and funding for Indie musicians.|
|Offers a platform for emerging artists to perform and showcase their talent.||Smaller audience compared to mainstream music.|
|Offers a more intimate music experience.||Indie music’s unpredictability and creative diversity may not appeal to all.|
In conclusion, the Indie music scene in Bend has been on a steady rise, with more and more musicians opting for independent live performances. Indie music is not commercialized and offers an excellent opportunity for authentic music experiences. With the growing interest from both the young and the old generation, Indie music is here to stay and will continue to thrive in Bend’s diverse music culture.
Section 5: How to Make the Most out of Your Live Music Festival Experience
Live music festivals can be an energizing and memorable experience. Here are some tips to help you fully enjoy your Bend and Central Oregon music festival experience.
1. Plan and Prepare Ahead of Time
- Research, research, research: Look into the festival lineup, the venue, the parking situation, and any festival-specific rules.
- Pack smart: Bring a small bag with the festival essentials, such as sunscreen, water, snacks, and a portable charger.
- Dress appropriately: Check the weather forecast and dress accordingly. Comfortable shoes are a must!
Proper planning and preparation can make all the difference in your festival experience. Knowing what to expect and having everything you need will make for a smoother day and leave you free to enjoy the music.
2. Arrive Early
- Get there before the crowds: Arriving early will provide you with the best parking and spot within the festival grounds, giving you plenty of time to look around and explore before the music begins.
- Maximize your festival experience: Set up your own camps or specific picnic blankets, chairs or loungers to settle in and get the most out of your time.
Arriving early will guarantee you the best possible spot within the festival grounds, allowing you to explore the area and beat the crowds. This will let you relax and fully appreciate the music and surroundings once the show begins.
3. Participate in Festivals Activities and Connections
- Get involved: Participate in all festival-related activities and take advantage of any opportunities to connect with other festival-goers and artists.
- Engage with people: Engaging with people will become a fun and memorable experience, giving you the chance to create new friends and great memories.
The festivals offer a chance to connect with other festival-goers and performers, allowing you to expand your network and make new friends. Engaging with people enhances the music experience and creates lasting memories.
4. Hydrate, Hydrate, Hydrate!
- Drink plenty of water: In the summer, the weather in Bend and Central Oregon can be hot and dry, so staying hydrated is essential to avoid feeling sick or light-headed.
- Buy a reusable water bottle: Keeping a bottle with you will lessen the need to go back-and-forth to the water station.
Staying hydrated is a must during any outdoor festival experience. Drink plenty of water to keep your body functioning correctly and prevent dehydration.
5. Create an Even Better Festival Experience With Friends and Family
- Invite friends and family: A live music festival is the perfect opportunity to invite those closest to you and share the music experience together.
- Meet new people: Festivals enable you to interact with new people, so be sure to introduce yourselves and meet new people from around the world.
Experiencing live music with friends and family is a memory that will last a lifetime. Festivals are excellent opportunities to meet new people and create a lasting bond while also enjoying the music.
|Proper planning and preparation allow for a more enjoyable experience.||Not knowing the festival rules will create an unexpected situation.|
|Arriving early to the festival grounds means guaranteed parking.||Arriving too early may result in a dull wait for the music to begin.|
|Interacting with other people enhances the festival experience and creates lasting memories.||Not interacting with anyone can lead to a dull experience.|
|Staying hydrated ensures an enjoyable experience.||Forgetting to stay hydrated can be dangerous to your health.|
|Creating new bonds with friends and family is a fantastic memory.||Not bringing anyone to experience the festival with can lead to a challenging time.|
In conclusion, there are several ways to make the best of your live music festival experience. Preparing, arriving early, and participating in festival-related activities are simple but efficient ways to make your music experience a memorable one. Staying hydrated and connecting with friends, family, and strangers are further enhancements that will create lasting memories.
FAQs: Bend Oregon Live Music
What are the best live music venues in Bend, Oregon?
Bend, Oregon has a wealth of live music venues catering to a variety of musical styles. Some of the most popular venues include the Les Schwab Amphitheater, The Tower Theatre, The Belfry, Volcanic Theatre Pub, and The Domino Room.
Is there live music in Bend, Oregon in the summer?
Absolutely! Bend’s summer season is jam-packed with outdoor concerts and music festivals. The Les Schwab Amphitheater alone hosts a variety of top-name artists from May through September. Other events include Munch & Music, which is a free weekly summer concert series in Drake Park, and the Sisters Folk Festival.
What kind of music can I expect to hear in Bend, Oregon?
Bend’s live music scene is diverse and offers everything from indie rock and country to jazz and blues. Whether you prefer to dance the night away to a cover band or enjoy an intimate acoustic set, you’re sure to find something to suit your taste.
Are there any all-ages live music venues in Bend, Oregon?
Yes, there are several all-ages venues in Bend, including The Domino Room, Volcanic Theatre Pub, and Central Oregon Collective.
When is the best time to catch live music in Bend, Oregon?
Bend’s live music scene is active year-round, but the best time to catch outdoor events is during the summer months when many concerts and festivals take place.
Can I bring my own food and drinks to outdoor concerts in Bend, Oregon?
Outside food and drinks are usually not allowed in concert venues, including outdoor events in Bend. However, many venues have food and drinks available for purchase on site.
Who are some of the most famous musicians to have performed in Bend, Oregon?
Bend has hosted many famous musicians over the years, including Paul Simon, Willie Nelson, Mumford & Sons, and Neil Young.
Is there a cover charge for live music events in Bend, Oregon?
Cover charges vary depending on the venue and event. Some events may be free, while others may charge a cover fee or require the purchase of tickets in advance.
Is live music in Bend, Oregon accessible for people with disabilities?
Yes, many live music venues in Bend are accessible for people with disabilities. Please check with specific venues for details on accessibility accommodations.
Can I take my children to live music events in Bend, Oregon?
Many live music events in Bend are family-friendly and allow children to attend. However, please check with specific events and venues to confirm age restrictions and guidelines.
Bend, Oregon is a vibrant and exciting place for live music. From the summer concert series to year-round performances, there is always something going on for music lovers in Bend. With a mix of indoor and outdoor venues, a variety of music genres, and opportunities for all ages and abilities, the live music scene in Bend is accessible for everyone. After reading this article, why not venture out and explore some of the great live music venues and events Bend has to offer?
Thank you for reading! We invite you to check out our other interesting articles for more great reads.